Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Quilting Frame Boards. What is the holes for? >

Old Quilting Frame Boards. What is the holes for?

Old Quilting Frame Boards. What is the holes for?

Old 07-04-2019, 06:41 AM

Default Old Quilting Frame Boards. What is the holes for?

I have old quilting frame boards. There are drilled holes evenly spaced down each one. What are they for? Did they used to tie the quilts to the board since nails were scarce?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:01 AM

I think they were for adjusting the size of your frame to the quilt.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
I think they were for adjusting the size of your frame to the quilt.
that would be my guess also
Old 07-04-2019, 07:06 AM

generally for one person they were tied in the corner and roped up and down from the ceiling, out of the way when not in use, quick to get to when wanted. I started with this style of frame, in a small apartment, set it on chair backs when quilting, stood against the wall when not in use.

I had long bolts to put in the holes to hold the size in place, and then two bolts werre lifted out and the quilt was rolled to the next reaching space. I think they are still up in the garage attic, Rob is sentimental about them as they were the first project he ever made me. I used a hoop in my lap when I last hand quilted. Don't do it anymore, takes too long I'd rather be piecing.

Found my pattern in a Foxfire book.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:10 AM

Yes, I have my mother-in-law's old quilt frame that hung from her ceiling and it is full of holes and she had big bolts and when she could no longer reach to hand quilt the middle, she would roll up the quilt and drop the bolts in - don't think they were even screwed in = just dropped in. it was a really unique thing to use!

Welcome to the board Hissy 561

Last edited by NikkiLu; 07-04-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:29 AM

I can't help you with your question, but Hi and Welcome from North Carolina!
Old 07-05-2019, 05:33 AM

The holes are drilled so when you tie the quilt to the frame you alternate with the edge of the quilt then through the frame and back. Like a whip stitch. Then tighten the string to make the top tight for quilting. There are four boards to the frame. You take the end boards and roll them as you quilt.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:36 AM

Here is a picture of the frames in use.
Attached Thumbnails jeanie-quilting-moms.jpg  
Old 07-05-2019, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Taughtby Grandma View Post
The holes are drilled so when you tie the quilt to the frame you alternate with the edge of the quilt then through the frame and back. Like a whip stitch. Then tighten the string to make the top tight for quilting. There are four boards to the frame. You take the end boards and roll them as you quilt.
Yes. My grandmother used frames like that and suspended them from the ceiling to get it out of the way when not in used. I think the frames are in my sister's possession now. My grandmother passed in 1971. She had used it so long that two of the boards were warped into a curve from the tension in stretching the quilt on it.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:55 PM

My husband made me one of those 4-board quilting frames when we first got married. I would hang it from the rafters in the basement to quilt a quilt. And, yes, he drilled holes, too. They were about 4" apart and I would stretch the quilt across the frame that was sized by bolts dropping through the holes to make it the right size. I had wing nuts to screw on the bolts so they stayed tight and true to size.

When I'd start quilting a quilt I would work along one side until I couldn't reach any longer to get my stitches nice and even. Then, I'd roll the quilt on the board where I was working until I could reach again. Stitch and roll. Stitch and roll.

From there I graduated to a homemade quilting frame with a roller that sits on the floor. Now I have a LA. I don't have the 4 boards anymore but I still have the quilting frame with a roller. That's my favorite one if I have time to hand quilt.