Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Singers >

Old Singers

Old Singers

Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 AM

I've only ever heard good things about the 201. Here is a great article about it:

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I figure I could show off some of my collection if there are other people who love old sewing machines. Here's a link to my webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/IamfoundinHim

I'm now using an 85-year-old hand crank that I stripped the paint off (paint was all chipped) and re-painted cool blue
Trina
Trina...I enjoyed seeing how you painted 'Sally'. I'm about to embark on that same job and it was good to see how you did it and to read your helpful comments on the process.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Thanks, Cathy. It really was a lot of fun, but is probably a spring/summer project when it's a bit warmer. I was a lot easier than I thought, and there's so many colors out there to choose from. If I can do it, anyone can!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 AM

I figure I could show off some of my collection if there are other people who love old sewing machines. Here's a link to my webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/IamfoundinHim

I sew exclusively on vintage machines, and they are just SO much fun. They are so much better built than the newer plastic machines. I also love the historical aspect of them, too. Every one I own sews beautifully, and I'm now using an 85-year-old hand crank that I stripped the paint off (paint was all chipped) and re-painted cool blue to do some paper piecing in front of the TV at night. SEW much fun!
Trina
Trina,
I looked through your webshot album and your collection is beautiful. You have a wealth of information there, and your tutorial and painting a vintage machine is very helpful. You also have a wonderful sewing room for all your vintage machines.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Thanks! I've been collecting for probably 10-12 years, and each machine in my collection has a 'specialty'. I have a National Two spool for piecing, Davis VF for bindings/curvy & straight line quilting, an old Eldredge chainstitcher for embroidery, Singer industrial 31-1 for fm quilting.... and on and on. I drive my hubby batty, but I really do love them all.

I did the repaint because my hand crank that sewed beautifully wasn't as pretty as the stitches she made. I figured I'd give her a 'face lift' and it really wasn't as hard as I thought. I LOVE the blue/purplish color.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks! I've been collecting for probably 10-12 years, and each machine in my collection has a 'specialty'. I have a National Two spool for piecing, Davis VF for bindings/curvy & straight line quilting, an old Eldredge chainstitcher for embroidery, Singer industrial 31-1 for fm quilting.... and on and on. I drive my hubby batty, but I really do love them all.

I did the repaint because my hand crank that sewed beautifully wasn't as pretty as the stitches she made. I figured I'd give her a 'face lift' and it really wasn't as hard as I thought. I LOVE the blue/purplish color.
I found a National Two Spools on CL this past October. It had been in a very sad cabinet with part of a motor mount, but no motor. I was very happy to purchase it from a cowboy. He was very surprised that I was going to use it in a treadle. My DH modified a Singer cabinet for me, and now the machine sits in it. I love my Two Spools for piecing!