Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Way  vs   New Way >

Old Way vs New Way

Old Way vs New Way

Old 05-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redturtle
the only thing i will complain about is that with all the new stuff that makes quilting faster/easier.........

the old ways are being forgotten
I would disagree with this. Tons of quilters out there still hand piece from template cut pieces and handquilt. I handquilt and machine quilt. I have not hand pieced but I have hand appliqued. I like having hand work around. Regarding templates, if someone wants to reproduce a block from an antique quilt, many of the more complex star designs must be done with template and I know of no way to rotary cut and piece the hexes used in GFG. I do know there are hex templates you can buy and of course there are dye cutters available to precut the hexes but many still do it the old fasioned way. There are so many quilters out there that embrace both new and old technique and some that only embrace new and some that only practice old. I am one of that does both! I do love my rotary cutter and mats as well as my sewing machine and longarm. But I always have some sort of handwork around, be it handquilting, hand applique or hand embroidery.