Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oliso Iron for Quilting

Blog Entries

Oliso Iron for Quilting

I have been seeing the Oliso TG1600 1800 Watts Smart Iron Pro on many of the quilt shows and wanted one. I just looked it up...retails for 200.00 - Wow....now that is alot . I did find it a bit cheaper but still....does anyone here have one. Is it worth 160.00-200.00 if you have one if you have to do it over again would you buy one?? I have bought many expensive irons over the years and the water leaks after a while. Wondering it any one has that problem with the Oliso. trying to justify buying one.

Blog Entries
    I wanted one too, when I first saw it. That is, until I saw the price. I don't even want to pay the price of a Rowenta. I'm pretty happy with my B&D and don't feel guilty about spending the $$ for it (I think it was $30 or so).

mmr
    Indiana home in summer. 2nd home in Florida for winter. Quilting supplies stashed in both places.
    Well I bought the "inexpensive" irons and burnt up 3 irons in 3 years. Not very inexpensive. Then I was fortunate enough to get a coupon for 50% off. So I bought the Oliso. I like it very much and if I get busy sewing and forget it, it shuts off and because it lifts up, it is not burning a hole in my ironing board cover. Also I like the fact that it is not sitting up and tipping over easily as my ironing board sits on carpet and is not very stable. Like any expensive item, I try to take good care of it, along with my other toys.

I want one too, I seen and used it at my LQS so I went home and checked it out, I seen lots of reviews about the iron not working after 4-6 months, some of the reviews said the customer service was not good. I decided not to buy one

I have the blue oliso and LOVE it. I've had it for going on 2 years.

After spending a lot for a Rowenta and it leaking within the first year, I am over the expensive irons...however, if I ever bought another expensive iron again, I probably would not put water in it. Make it a dry iron only.

I have found that ironing with steam warps my seams anyway.

The Oliso looks like it's a great iron. After being out for several years, I would think they have "ironed out" the kinks. I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I have been seeing the Oliso TG1600 1800 Watts Smart Iron Pro on many of the quilt shows and wanted one. I just looked it up...retails for 200.00 - Wow....now that is alot . I did find it a bit cheaper but still....does anyone here have one. Is it worth 160.00-200.00 if you have one if you have to do it over again would you buy one?? I have bought many expensive irons over the years and the water leaks after a while. Wondering it any one has that problem with the Oliso. trying to justify buying one.
    Check which iron you are getting ... there are two Oliso models, and the price differential you are finding may be the difference of the two models.

There have been numerous threads on the QB ... and each time there are the ones who praise Oliso and those who detest it.

I don't have one ............ yet!
    For now, I'm definitely interested and learning all I can.
    ​When my current iron dies, I'll be making the big decision.
    Only time will tell what I will decide!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I got the Oliso 1600 at the 2012 quilt show in Cincinnati OH for $149.00. Absolutely love it and had no problems. It says to use regular water instead of distilled. Was tired of going through all of the other irons over the years. Watch to see if you can find it on sale.

I have my second one, first I had the blue one, and after my granddaughter was here, it quit working. I then ordered the gray one, and I really love it. Yes, they are worth the money. I got mine on Nancy's Notions on sale.

I tried lifting one in the store and found it too heavy for me. Since we use our iron a lot I want something lite.
    Ms Kay

Blog Entries
    The reviews on that iron are all over the place and when I spend that kind of money, I want a more consistent review. Jenny at the Missouri Star Quilt Company uses one in her tutorials and it is fun to watch.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I do have one, I really like it. My husband purchased it for me a a gift. I would have never paid that much for a iron. But again I really do like it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
    I tried lifting one in the store and found it too heavy for me. Since we use our iron a lot I want something lite.
    The concept of that iron is that you do NOT lift it .... it pops up when you are not using it.

For anyone with shoulder problems, it would be a blessing.
    Ask me how I know .................
    (and why I am lusting over an Oliso!)
    Last edited by QuiltE; 08-30-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    I purchased (yellow) one a couple years ago, on sale (I think $150.shh) I love it! Heats up fast, auto shut off. One draw back I have found... since using my auto lift Oliso, when I am at classes, retreats.... oops I sometimes forget to set the regular irons back up. I have been know to leave dark spots on the board.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

I have seen a lot of reviews where the mechanism stops working after 6months, and have also heard customer service is not that great. The only way I would get one is if it was a gift, would never spend that kind of money on an iron. I paid a little over 60 for my rowenta that I love and found that to be expensive but have had it for about 7 years
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I would do some research on the warranty and return policy of the store, since there is a lot of very differing opinions on this iron posted on many sites.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I had my Oliso for two years and it quit working one day. I called them and they said to send it to them. They sent me a brand spanking new one for free. I've had it for a year and it works fine. I love it. It's the blue one.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I went to Joanns for some elastic foldovers and I saw the iron on sale for 139.99 so I took the pludge...its still in the car. My hands were full of 2.00 fabric and white muslim. The kona white was on sale but I did not like how it was see through so I bought another brand that seemed much nicer and I can not see through it. It was more money but seems worth it. No idea what the brand was.

FYI...JoAnns latest flier says 30% off of irons!!!! Enjoy.
    Can't stop now, I need to finish just one more quilt
    http://onemorequilt.net

I bought the yellow one a few years ago. It dripped water constantly, sometimes leaving brown spots on the fabric. I called the company and after I shipped mine to them, they shipped me a new one. I loved the concept! However, after 13 months, the new one simply sat down on it's legs and scorched my pressing table. Thank goodness I was nearby and no further damage occurred. I kept a close eye on it after that and a couple of days later it happened again. It was out of warranty and I could not trust it anymore.

I'm now using a $50 cordless Panasonic from Walmart that I LOVE.

Blog Entries
    When I first saw the iron I wanted one too but the price! Isn't it funny how we are attracted to irons, pots and pans and other items we work with? Anyway, after I saw the price I thought maybe the price will be more attractive in a few years or other companies will come up with the same concept and make prices more competitive. I' waiting and still wanting one!

I have had my Oliso for 4 years absolutely no problems. I use only distilled water - doesnt matter what a product says I live in Florida and our aquafer water ruins everything. Love my Oliso!!
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

I also have thought that the concept of the Oliso was kind of neat.....BUT the price was a deterrent. I bought a Rowenta a couple of years ago and true to form it started leaking and I could never get it hot enough for a good flat seam. I went to an estate sale one day with a friend and there in a box was an old GE dry only iron that I remember using as a child. Heavy, yes but boy does that baby heat up. You have to be careful but I LOVE it and if I need some steam I do it the old fashion way......spritz!!!!! And the best part, I only paid $5 for the iron.

I bought the $200 yellow one last week. I had used a Maytag cordless for the last 10 years but had some money to burn and get the Oliso. I like it so far and though it may be hard to be used to never having to set my iron up again, I think l like it. I haven't decided what I think about going back to cord but I sure get tired of constantly having to recharge in the middle of pressing. We'll see I guess.

Blog Entries
    I have this Iron and love it, I also have a Rowenia and I like the Oliso better. It does not leak and love all feature of it.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast