Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso Iron >

Oliso Iron

Oliso Iron

Old 09-10-2015, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I have Black and Decker and a Sunbeam. One is larger than the other. The smaller Sunbeam gets hotter than the B& D. I use the larger for pressing yardage and the smaller for the scraps. I hate finger pressing. It's like running fingers down a slate board. Old school days.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
2.5 years is definitely enough time for a sewist or quilter to wear out an iron, especially irons that shut off after a period of time, like the Olisio. They constantly cook and reheat, then cool again. Best to buy super cheap or super expensive. I finally purchasd a pressure steam (dry steam) iron last winter and donated my Olisio to a friend.
I have been wanting to ask this question for quite some time, as I think the Olisio looks great on videos. I wondered if they lasted any better than the others. I have used the cheapies, the Rowenta, the T-Fal and the Reliable and all of them have spit and sputtered. I have wondered about the pressure steam. Will you share a little more of your experience with that iron? I do like an iron that gets hot and doesn't shut off.

Last edited by mopec; 09-10-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Banned

Be careful using the cheapy irons from Walmart, Target,etc.. I had one from Target and when it quit heating up I bought one from Walmart. They come from the same manufacturer. When the second one started leaking after having been dropped a couple times, I had the bright idea of trying to take them apart to see if I could make one good iron out of the two. I'm glad I thought of this though it's not such a bright idea. What I found is that because they are made with lots of plastic to make them light weight, the insides of both irons were a melted blob of plastic and electrical connections. I'm lucky neither one of them started a fire.
I bought a good old Sunbeam steam iron at Goodwill for $5 and it has been working just great for about 5 years. Gets plenty hot and no auto shut off(I hate that). I rarely use steam so had been watching for a good dry iron and recently won an old GE Handy Hanna dry iron in a raffle. I love it.

Cari
Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dj2 View Post
I have had an Oliso iron for about 2 1/2 years. All of a sudden it quit heating. The lights come on, but it doesn't heat up. I used it in the morning, and the same afternoon is when it quit working.
any ideas on what to do ??
Return to the dealer you bought it from. My local guy said that he returned a 4 year old iron and they sent the customer a new one. It's worth a try to see what they will do.

Also he said to always use distilled water, never tap water.

Last edited by Tiggersmom; 09-10-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 PM

Call Oliso customer service, I had a problem with mine, I sent them an email, they called me immediately after receiving the email & resolved my problem, they probably have the best customer service of any product, great!
Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by baywinds View Post
ClairvoyantQuilter, could you share what this is and brand name please? Thanks
Olisio is the brand name of the iron.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 AM

I think she's asking about the other iron ClairvoyantQuilter bought.

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
I finally purchasd a pressure steam (dry steam) iron last winter and donated my Olisio to a friend.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:28 PM

ClairvoyantQuilter, could you share what this is and brand name please? Thanks
Reliable i500 . . .it truly makes a tremendous difference how my seams look. The take holds about 8 cups of water (I use distilled). And a tank lasts me all day. No auto shut off, completely dry steam. A pleasure to use.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-11-2015, 07:14 PM

Thank you for this answer. Still having a problem wrapping my head around "dry" steam. But from the looks of that set up, it's out of my league.
Thanks so much for answering and the photo
Susan
Old 09-11-2015, 07:31 PM

Thank you for this answer. Still having a problem wrapping my head around "dry" steam. But from the looks of that set up, it's out of my league.
Thanks so much for answering and the photo
Susan
If you have to put water in the iron then steam is steam and created by evaporating water.I like my heavy-duty Sunbeam steam iron -ha