Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso Iron >

Oliso Iron

Oliso Iron

Old 10-22-2019, 03:28 AM

I have one and like it but I do have an issue with it. I have trouble with the auto lift where it will release on its own and burn your ironing board top. It can be very dangerous so I have to either keep an eye on it or stand it upright which defeats the purpose of it.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:24 PM

Love mine. Bought it at Costco after the demonstration!
Old 10-23-2019, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jules51 View Post
Love mine. Bought it at Costco after the demonstration!

I’ve seen YouTube clips where demonstrators have used these, by irritatingly they are not available in the UK and cannot be used here due to different voltage. Does anyone know of any iron available in UK with the auto lift facility?
Old 10-23-2019, 05:14 AM

I had one, one day I was ironing cotton fabric, all of a sudden it caught fire. Literally started smoking, I unplugged it, yelled for my husband. Ended up snuffing the fire out with the fabric I was ironing.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-23-2019 at 07:29 AM. Reason: remove consumer complaint
Old 12-05-2019, 07:13 AM

I am thinking of asking 'Santa' for either the Pink or Yellow Oliso Iron for Christmas.

For those of you that own these models, what do you think of the steam? I noticed that these models don't have has many steam holes as the least expensive model.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 AM

I am addicted to mine. I say that because when the first one died after less than two years, I just could not get used to using my old one again. I've never scorched anything because I forget to turn it up, but when I have it upright, I tend to bump into it and burn myself. That is a problem I have always had - and on top of burning myself, I'd knock it off the ironing board too.

So in the end I paid the money and bought a new one, along with paying a bit more for an extended warranty. I know it's expensive compared to other irons, but I routinely spend $200 on fabric and make a quilt to give away (several times a year) so decided it would be OK to spend $200 a year (if needed) to have an iron I love and don't hurt myself on. I won't put water in it though, did that a few times with the old one and had condensation dripping out the front. I plan on getting a commercial steam iron when I move, and keeping the Oliso for the dry iron. I prefer not to use steam when quilt sewing, but it's a must for most garment construction.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 AM

I'm with Macybaby, I love my Oliso. Third one. The steam is wonderful as it has a puffer steam button on the top and you get a big burst of steam. Keep fingers back. I use bestpress and steam.

I do this for the fun and creativity of it, not for the money.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I don't scorch anything at retreats or classes because I take my Oliso with me. Granted it is usually a group ironing station but I don't mind others using it. I think DD ordered me the Missouri Star Oliso iron for Christmas. She saw me watching the video and said that's a prettier iron then the one you have. You can have that one for travel and the other for home. I hope I'm right. LOL
Old 12-05-2019, 11:59 AM

I had one. It was okay. I use steam for some garments sewing and my other ironing, but it quit steaming. The auto shut off was getting to where it worked intermittently also. I finally replaced it last month with a LauraStar. I got the small one like the one I saw at quilt festival and use it with my regular board. I didn't like the board on their "ironing system". I love my LauraStar. I loved the first one for about 10 or 15 years also.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I got the small one like the one I saw at quilt festival and use it with my regular board. I didn't like the board on their "ironing system".
Did you get the red lift one? Those look so nice. I can see where a seamstress or professional sewer would need this brand.