Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: OMG I did it. I bought a featherweight!!

Blog Entries
    I'll post pics in a little bit. I went to a shop today and was looking at the machines, just out of curiosity. Then I saw it-a little black featherweight. She had $175 on it (it's a little dinged up, as you'll soon see) so I asked if she was firm on that price. She said she would sell it for $150. I offered $125 and she finally agreed on $135. Is that good? I guess it's hard to tell without pics. She had only put it out a few days ago. It came with a black case and some extra feet and other stuff and there's this buttonhole attachment thing with it. I don't think it belongs with it though. No manual but I found that online easily enough. Usually after a purchase like this I have deep regret, at least for a little while. But this time I didn't! I hope I didn't get hosed. lol

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Without even looking at it I would BET you got a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh what a fun gift for yourself!!! Congratulations to you and your new baby!!

Merry Christmas to you, from you!!!

Love, LOve, LOVE my FW! I will admit that my MIL searched and paid for a lovely machine. It will not matter to you that it was well loved as long as it stitches like a FW. You just gave yourself a great Christmas present.

Blog Entries
    Woo hoo!! This is awesome!! Can't wait to see a picture :D:D:D

You got a VERY good deal.. I've seen them go for up to $600.

Sounds like a great deal, I paid $300 for mine, it is so much fun to use. If you don't think you got a good deal, check out the FW prices on ebay, unless the scrolling is a total wreck, you have done very well

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new baby - the buttonholer works magically, considering this is a straight stitch machine and it makes great buttonholes.

I love my featherweight.Just got her back from a cleaning and repair and was just there at the right time when my repair lady (yes a great one)offered a case for it that she had in her garage. Musty smell and all.....Now she is complete.Take care of it.and don't use a walking foot with it.Throws it out of line.....

Many featherwieghts have buttonholers but they were not originally issued with the machine. Buttonholers were sold as an extra attachment and will fit on many short shank machines. The ancient old Buttonholer that came with my featherweight will even fit on my Janome 6500 and still makes perfect buttonholes everytime. There are also other attachments that will fit your featherweight and were sold separately. I have a zigzagger that attaches in the same manner as my buttonholer. These attachments were popular with featherweight owners as a featherweights would just straight stitch and many original owners were using their machines to make clothes for their family.

Blog Entries
    I know just how you feel. I got mine at a flea market for $175 with the case and quite a few feet. It had been well used but still has the decals. It cost me a $2.98 for a new tension spring. Now it goes to all my quilting classes and I LOVE IT!! Congrats to you, you're gonna love your new baby! You got a GREAT deal on your machine.

Lucky you! Congrats!

You got a great deal - enjoy your new little beauty!

IF it "purrs" like mine (1947), then a few dings and that price is worth it! Why can't they make the new ones like in the olden days?

Blog Entries
    What is a featherweight (brand?) and why is it so great?

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    What is a featherweight (brand?) and why is it so great?
    Go to search and put in Featherweight. You will get many pictures and comments on them.

Blog Entries
    OK I posted pictures in the pictures section here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-79603-1.htm

I just took a look at your new baby! I think you got a good deal. Have you tried her out yet?

Blog Entries
    I tried it at the shop just a little bit. It sewed beautifully! And it's very quiet too.

Blog Entries
    Oh also, she said she might put another out for sale in case anyone who lives near it is interested. It's called Quilter's Harvest in Lafayette, Indiana. This one belonged to her husband and she is thinking of selling hers. They've switched to using the 301.