Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG... MAMA found another box in her Shed Today

Aw, great find!

Good find. Keep looking; who knows what else may be hiding.

Blog Entries
    Some one is doing the happy dance!! Can't stop now-specially when you feel there is more! What a good feeling to find something after all the years.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Oh, yes, just like Christmas! Glad you found them, now you gotta figure out what to make :) start looking thru those books!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    wow..how was it stored...be sure to test for dry rot...and check for moldy smells before bringing it into the house...

a whole new stash if it is still good!

Congratulations on your find! I moved 7 months ago and haven't found my 2 24" rulers, an Olfa cutter and a quilt for my youngest DGS that was ready for quilting! Beats the heck out me where those things got to or HOW they've disappeared! They were with all my sewing stuff when I packed!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    wow..how was it stored...be sure to test for dry rot...and check for moldy smells before bringing it into the house...

Not moldy, not stinky, I stored EVERYTHING in a DRY environment with a small heater going in winter, in a sealed shed, in a UHAUL box with a black heavy duty garbage bag surrounding all the fabric. I packed everything in a bag and then in the box. I have only found one thing out of thousands ever tarnished slightly by packing this way. How would I test for dry rot?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Not moldy, not stinky, I stored EVERYTHING in a DRY environment with a small heater going in winter, in a sealed shed, in a UHAUL box with a black heavy duty garbage bag surrounding all the fabric. I packed everything in a bag and then in the box. I have only found one thing out of thousands ever tarnished slightly by packing this way. How would I test for dry rot?
    if it rips OFF grain, and makes dust it is dry rotted...I have only seen this happen to really old fabric stored in a shed...

sounds like you are in luck...and up to your ears in NEW stash...just in time too with prices going like they are!

Blog Entries
    I've been in your shoes :lol: . It's like Xmas all over again when you come across them. Or a free shopping trip to the fabric store! After my last move here 3 years ago, I came across a box of fabric that came from my mother's house...and she passed away in 1985!!!. I have a serious fabric problem :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas! I love it when I find something I thought was gone.

Ohhhh, I think that stack of browns is mine. I know I've bought one's just like it. It has to be mine. Oh well, guess I'll have to keep searching. LOL Lucky lady!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer Spice
    Good for you! I know just how it is when you move and you know you had something but can't find it....
    We moved in the fall and still have many boxes stored in the garage that I can't go through until it warms up. "Come on Warmer Weather".

OMG, how great ! It's just like Christmas to us quilters. lol

I sorta did the same thing last night. I have 5 quilt tops that I need to finish, so I picked out one of them and went looking in my stash to find a backing. I came across some pink material that matched, so I pulled it out and stood there looking at it. Where did this come from? I don't remember buying this. Oh, must be some material that I got in the garage sale boxes. I then pulled another piece out, and the same thing. I don't even remember where they came from. lol I ended up going through most of it and found enough to do 3 of the quilts.
    Syl

Whoa, I hope I find a lost box like that....

Blog Entries
    I feel that way all of the time. I've got fabric that I forgot I had. I can't stop myself from buying though. It's an addiction.

How surprised and happy one can be, good for you.

Looks like everything is in great shape and now it's time to get quilting.

Blog Entries
    I moved in 1966 and am still missing a box of good knives. Guess they are gone forever since I have moved once more since then and they still didn't show up.

I moved here 8 years ago & finnaly got to the fabric in the closet from the move. Still have boxes in all the bedrooms & keep finding things. What an eye opener.

Blog Entries
    [quote=grugirl]
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
    I will be sad when there are no more boxes to unpack.

I will quote you on that one my friend!! So glad you found that box. Rulers are lost no more!!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I know how you feel, I recently moved and am still finding things!! :)
    I moved in 04, still finding fabric!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreadHead
    I sorta did the same thing last night. I have 5 quilt tops that I need to finish, so I picked out one of them and went looking in my stash to find a backing. I came across some pink material that matched, so I pulled it out and stood there looking at it. Where did this come from? I don't remember buying this. Oh, must be some material that I got in the garage sale boxes. I then pulled another piece out, and the same thing. I don't even remember where they came from. lol I ended up going through most of it and found enough to do 3 of the quilts.
    Syl
    What a wonderful finding!! Serendipity for sure.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Just like Christmas!!

Oh boy, can I relate! All my stuff was packed up in late 07 to "stage" the house. Moved in early 08, but didn't finish the basement sewing room til spring of 10. I just stuffed things into my fabric cabinets to quickly unload the boxes. In addition, I had a lot of fabric in baskets and plastic containers. Have yet to reorganize everything. And then we have the little problem of where to store the new stuff I bought. The other day I ran across a UFO I had completely forgotten about. Still haven't found my pretty little Gingher pewter embroidery scissors. I am hopelessly ill and loving it!

I love when stuff like that happens. It's like Christmas but better because it's already paid for! :-D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast