Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OMG!  Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!! >

OMG! Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!!

OMG! Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 PM

Try running some UNwaxed floss through the tension disks. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
Don't feel stupid. My ex-machine (long story) locked like that once and the problem was not the thread at all. You mentioned that it locked while you were doing FMQ. What happened to mine was that I was moving the fabric faster than the needle was moving and it messed up the timing of the machine. It can be fixed, but not by everyone. Modern machines are wonderful with all the bells and whistles, but with those comes a new set of problems. Hope you get your machine back soon.
Oh no!! I wonder if it could be that!! I'd believe it, I haven't taken any FMQ classes, I was just experimenting.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Try moving the wheel back and forth a few times...there still may be thread caught up in the bobbin area. Good luck!
Ditto - sometimes the bobbin thread will wrap itself around the bobbin spindle - this happens to me if I forget to hold the threads top and bottom when beginning to sew - and then again sometimes it happens when the bobbin whips the thread on the top of my machine, then it is really difficult to move the wheel -

I take out the sewing machine needle and that releases the movement, remove the bobbin, clean all the thread and dust that has wrapped around the bobbin spindle and I was advised to put a small drop of oil on the base of the bobbin shuttle and be sure to wipe out any excess oil with a clean cloth, before you put the needle back in, and without the bobbin inserted, run your machine back and forth to ensure it is all working ok. The repair man pressed on the presser foot and made it go as fast as possible and same in reverse.

Be sure to change your needle as it may have been bent as well, put the bobbin back in the machine, rethread the top and bottom threads. I think you will find this works, as the repairman showed this to me last summer when we were on vacation in Penticton. Such a smart sewing machine repairman, and now I can fix it myself.

I hope this helps...

Best of Luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 AM

Have you had a report on your machine? Do hope it was something simple.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Fan
Have you had a report on your machine? Do hope it was something simple.
No not yet!!!!!! They said TWO weeks!!!! :o(
Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM

I am so sorry.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 PM

I have a Babylock as well and it did the same as yours. Apparently the machine does not have a cover inside to protect the thread from wrapping around some part. When I took my machine in to have it repaired the owner of the store told me that I should use a good quality of thread but if I was using a less expensive where the thread is being pulled out from under the sticky lable to take a fingernail file and file the opening down and that keeps the thread from catching in the opening and breaking so it won't get caught in the machine. My machine did not break threads so I could not tell that it was catching the thread until it completely locked up. The repair was about $70.00 but it was a lesson well learned.
Good luck you will love the machine. It does the work for you.
pat thompson
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 PM
QM
Power Poster

Your dealer should be able to identify and fix the problem. Usually it's something very simple. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Try checking to see if you have thread wound around the wheel. That happened to me once.