Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: One Block Wonder Book(s)

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    34
    If someone (ie. ME) wants to try this and doesn't have any of the three books that are out, which one or ones should I get? I really want to give this a go.

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,592
    Blog Entries
    14
    Go on yu tube! There an easy tute!!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Go on yu tube! There an easy tute!!
    No, in my (and k3n and katrine) opinion you really cannot do this without the book. There are so many things to consider, that no video or tute alone can explain. Like I've said before, it's a complex process, but not necessarily a difficult one.

    I would recommend the first book, One Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal. Once you get the book, there are lots of people who are happy to help you. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Super Member woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    2,152
    Blog Entries
    1
    I started with the second book, One Block Wonders Encore which gives you all the basics of the Hexagons (not Octagons though) and a range of the cubes if you are interested in them. If you are not interested in the cubes then the first book would probably be better.

  5. #5
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    I agree with both Gai and Woody! Actually it depends if you think you'll prefer hexes and cubes or you might like to try the octogans as well. But whatever, you can't do these well without a book. All the free tutes and stuff are inadequate and doesn't go far enough with the design advice which is the main issue with these - the piecing is pretty straight forward. I have however done a You Tube tute myself on joining the rows and my persnickety way to match the points and press open seams but this is an ADDITION to the book NOT a replacement for it by any means.

  6. #6
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,194
    I agree with the advice given, and now I'm off to check out k3n's persnickety youtube ;-)

  7. #7
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I agree with the advice given, and now I'm off to check out k3n's persnickety youtube ;-)
    Oooohhh - and I never felt a thing! :mrgreen: :lol:

  8. #8
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by woody
    I started with the second book, One Block Wonders Encore which gives you all the basics of the Hexagons (not Octagons though) and a range of the cubes if you are interested in them. If you are not interested in the cubes then the first book would probably be better.
    I agree with woody, either of these two depending on where your interest lies :D:D:D

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    34
    Thanks for all the advice . I know my Joann's has the third book in the series. I'll have to see if they have the first or second.

  10. #10
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,428
    I bought the first book (before the other two came out) and was very happy with the depth of information in it, except for the lack of explanation on how to do the hollow cubes. I then bought Sara Nephew's book, Big Book of Building Block Quilts, which has instructions for the cubes. (Maxine Rosenthal, author of the OBW books, gives credit to Sara Nephew in the first book.) I haven't purchased the next two OBW books, so I can't speak to how well they compare with the first.

  11. #11
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,393
    There is another series of booklets out there that teach you how to make them - and they are a bit different from the obw books that most people get. I chose to go this route although I have yet to make my obw. I keep saying I need to get the fabric for it but haven't found *the one* for me to start with.

    The series is Learn to be a Wacky....there is wedge, pinwheel and star by Linda Causee
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...uiting&x=0&y=0
    The wedge one is the one that would be similar to the obw books. It has the octagons in it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Jamiestitcher62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    744
    I have the original One Block Wonder book and found it confusing and quite frankly mostly a pictorial of quilts. I didn't find the instructions all that great either. I found the YouTube videos and Missouri Quilt Star has a video too I think. The videos are better, but maybe if you had both the book and a video that would be the ideal.

  13. #13
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
    I have the original One Block Wonder book and found it confusing and quite frankly mostly a pictorial of quilts. I didn't find the instructions all that great either. I found the YouTube videos and Missouri Quilt Star has a video too I think. The videos are better, but maybe if you had both the book and a video that would be the ideal.
    I'm sorry you found that with the book. Personally I think the instructions are very clear and well illustrated with lots of photos showing all the stages in construction. There are also comprehensive guidelines on choice of fabric and lots of advice and tips for achieving a successful design layout. Yes there ARE lots of pictures of finished quilts but these only serve to inspire me and give me ideas... :-)

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
    I have the original One Block Wonder book and found it confusing and quite frankly mostly a pictorial of quilts. I didn't find the instructions all that great either. I found the YouTube videos and Missouri Quilt Star has a video too I think. The videos are better, but maybe if you had both the book and a video that would be the ideal.
    I'm sorry you found that with the book. Personally I think the instructions are very clear and well illustrated with lots of photos showing all the stages in construction. There are also comprehensive guidelines on choice of fabric and lots of advice and tips for achieving a successful design layout. Yes there ARE lots of pictures of finished quilts but these only serve to inspire me and give me ideas... :-)
    I agree with k3n. I could never have done one without the book right at my side showing me each step. Even now, after having done 4-6 of them, I have the book open.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    34
    Where did you girls find the ruler needed for this?

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarD14523
    Where did you girls find the ruler needed for this?
    You don't really need a special ruler, I used my regular one, but you can buy a 60 degree ruler at JoAnn's or Clotilde or pretty much anywhere online.

  17. #17
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarD14523
    Where did you girls find the ruler needed for this?
    You don't really need a special ruler, I used my regular one, but you can buy a 60 degree ruler at JoAnn's or Clotilde or pretty much anywhere online.
    Make sure you get the Clearview - if you google '60 degree Clearview ruler' you should get suppliers. DON'T get the Marti Mitchell one with the tips cut off - I used this for my first couple and it was a right pain in the you-know-what, remembering to allow for that extra 1/4". As Gai said, you can use your 60 deg line to make the basic blocks but if ever you get into the cubes, you must have the Clearview. And it is a lot easier and faster for cutting your stacks. Anyway, you'll get hooked and make a million of these so it will be a good investment! :lol:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.