Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One block wonder help >

One block wonder help

One block wonder help

Old 07-09-2022, 09:14 AM

Default One block wonder help

I watched a few tutorials online and, being a pretty decent intermediate quilter, I thought I could handle this method. The cutting and piecing of the half-hexies has been easy and I love my layout but when it came time to sew the strips I have run into issues with bulk and also with getting the pieces to line up nicely once I start to piece the strips. I am about to buy a book on the method but am looking for recommendations on the best one out there when it comes to actual construction. Not a lot of color theory, endless possibilities, etc., just good old construction tips and trick for this method. All the YouTube videos kind of gloss over this part and I fell for it!! Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Pin where the intersection must meet and ease in between the pins. There are lots of bias edges so you have to be careful not to stretch the pieces. You may need to press seams open rather then to one size so sew with a shorter stitch length.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:45 AM

I would glue-baste it. In my opinion, the bias works in your favor on this project. My technique is to put a pin at the quarter-inch mark (where you want to stitch) of the top piece, then through to the quarter-inch mark of the bottom piece. Put a dot of glue in the seam allowance at this spot, touch with a hot iron to dry, and glue the 2 pieces together, then remove the pin. Repeat at the other end of the piece you are sewing. Then, without touching or pinning anywhere else, hover the iron and steam the length of the item you're sewing. The steam will help the bias fabric relax and ease in any excess. At this point you can stitch, or if the piece is really long and you'd feel more comfortable pinning, then add a few more dots of glue in the seam allowances. Once the seam is stitched and you're satisfied, slide an awl between the fabrics in the seam allowance to un-glue the glue dots.

Also, spinning your seams will help a lot with the bulk where intersections meet.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:27 AM

IMHO, when doing OBW’s heavy starch and open seams make for the best finished results.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:28 AM

I've made several in the recent past and I had no problem with bulk because I pressed every single seam open using a "Strip Stick" Missouri Star Quilt Co - Strip Stick Someone (probably on this board) recommended it and I found it made a world of difference. Oh, and I snipped every single dog-ear after each press. It became a production line routine for me.

As for lining up seams, I tried to be somewhat careful to press not push my iron across the fabric to minimize bias stretch. All-in-all, I was successful at easing in the little differences I had without extra effort. Is mine perfect - I'd say 98% with an occasional seam off.

Making this quilt was a cathartic process for me - lots of repetitive work but the finished quilts are glorious! Look forward to seeing yours!
Old 07-09-2022, 10:31 AM

I probably described this wrong. I can get the seams to line up where they meet, I am just having issues with 1. bulk and 2. sewing the individual half hex together in strips and having them line up when they are folded open. I am doing my best to use the off-set top triangle so it creates a 1/4" 'valley' to start my stitching in but it seems to only work about half the time. I just pressed one with the seams open and the bulk at the main intersection does not seem to be reduced. So none of the books or videos available address this?
Old 07-09-2022, 10:34 AM

I should also add, if you follow the grain of your cut triangles and are sure to keep the 'un-biased' edge on the outside of your hexis that will greatly limit bias stretch. I preferred the option of auditioning the hexis from every side and often ended up with bias edges.

Oh, and a stiletto was a must for me to help keep those little pieces straight and ensure consistent 1/4" seams.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:38 AM

There is a ton of information on a facebook group called OBW- One Block Wonder Quilt Forum with lots of files to read, tutorials, videos and wonderful folks who might help answer your question.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:01 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am off to check out the Facebook group.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:03 PM

I too press ALL the seams open and use a strip stick when it looks necessary. Then I pin the intersection carefully with extra fine Clover patchwork pins. Those two approaches really smooth out the assembly.

If you are having issues with the finished strips in that the hexie halves do not line up, that is the result of tiny seam errors adding up. That is normal. I just pinned all down the strip matching the halves, and then easing any misfitting that was going on. I admit you need to be in your zen space! Putting the strips together *feels* like the home run but it is really where you have to focus to get the accuracy this pattern depends upon for maximum wow factor.

Last edited by WesternWilson; 07-09-2022 at 02:06 PM.