Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One color string quilts anyone? >

One color string quilts anyone?

One color string quilts anyone?

Old 10-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Default One color string quilts anyone?

Finally decide to start making a string quilt with all my 1 1/2" pieces. I'm really finding it hard just to reach in and grab a piece and go with whatever comes out. My range in quilting fabric jumps from novelty for children, Civil War prints and brights. Thinking I would be more satisfied with one color such as greens or all blues in various prints.. Has anyone on the board ever done one of these? If so would you show me your photo's. May need some inspiration as I go forward.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I have seen many monochromatic string quilts and scrap quilts. I think they look great. Google images of "monochromatic string quilt" and you will see some. I actually prefer controlled scrappy to just put my hand in a bag and see what comes out and use it. I am always happier with the end product if there is some semblance of order. Another option is to go with one color family like all cool colors (blues greens purples) or all warm colors (reds, oranges, yellows). Or one theme, like all novelty kid prints or all civil war repros or all batiks. I do better with color coordination than I do with theme and sometimes I combine the two. Like this quilt was all asian scraps and I sorted the logs in each offset log cabin to be all in the blue family or red family or black family and the lights I just used lights. There were a couple of all out scrap ones in the mix but they were all Asian prints. Scrappy log cabin clam shell setting
Old 10-23-2019, 11:56 AM

‘‘Tis is one I have started, but have yet to finish [ATTACH=CONFIG]618895[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 57eb3627-4cfb-4fe2-a11f-17569140ebb9.jpeg  
Old 10-23-2019, 11:58 AM

If you can, check out a copy of String Quilt Revival, price is huge on Amazon right now, but I see it regularly in thrift shops and guild sales and who knows, maybe your local library might have it!

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quil...string-quilts/

Nancy worked on the DVD, my copy came complete with the DVD. If you Google and click on the images option that comes up, you will see many of the projects from the book as well as others.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

stunning example patchworkbarb.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Linda, I think that would be awesome in one color family.
Barb- I love yours!
Old 10-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

Barb, that is beautiful and will make a beautiful quilt.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:43 PM

Thank you everyone, I think once you start a monochomatic quilt you get into the flow and the color combinations just flow.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:59 PM

You could always start with a monochromatic plan but if you get bored, maybe do an alternate color (even whites and creams mixed look rich together and the perfect contrast to any color).

I’m with you, though. I just can’t do the reach in and grab whatever to sew next. I like to start with a focal print of multicolors and choose prints in that colorway. Experiment but Stay true to yourself. We all have a gut reaction to color and styles that just feel natural and right to us. Unless you want a personality conflict with yourself, stick to what feels like “you.”
Old 10-24-2019, 02:04 AM

I too can not do the scrappy thing, to many OCD tendencies, I sort all my scraps by color and go from there. All string blocks I make are one color. I followed the Box of Strings quilt along and made AngeliaNR's Box of Strings Quilt from last year and made all my blocks/boxes in one color strings. here is a link to the Quilt A Long, my quilt is on page 9.
I also made Edyta Sitar's Spools Spools Spools quilt using one color string blocks for the "thread" part of the spools.
My one color string blocks are just piling up and I will do something with them someday......lol

Box of Strings Quilt Along!