Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Quarter Inch vs "Scant" One Quarter Inch >

One Quarter Inch vs "Scant" One Quarter Inch

One Quarter Inch vs "Scant" One Quarter Inch

Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by nana pat
I dont understand what you mean about cutting on the ruler side.
It's not the 'ruler side' but the 'line side'......
Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 PM

thanks, I misread it, but now I hbow why I am having so much trouble with my sizes. Duh, silly me. :oops:
Old 09-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Originally Posted by nana pat
I dont understand what you mean about cutting on the ruler side.
It's not the 'ruler side' but the 'line side'......
When using a rotary cutter to cut the strips and pieces, the alignment of the ruler contributes greatly to the size of the strip or piece. Most of the rulers have a rather fat line that represents the measurement. While the line is important for us to see the measurement, it matters whether the line is centered ON the line for the cut or slightly OFF the line for the cut. I hope that makes sense - clear as mud for me. I make sure to cut mine all the same.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
I'm kinda new to quilting too - but I think the scant 1/4" is used a lot with triangles (at least the little ones). I could be wrong, but mostly that's the only time I come across them is in a pattern using triangles.
Hi, Lady Shivesa, I did notice this when trying (note I said "trying", LOL) my first block where there were a lot of triangles to form a basket. Silly me, I have never quilted before, and the first thing I picked to do was a pre-cut squares quilt project called "Bohemian Treasures" from Joann's. I did plenty of ripping and stitching on that multi-triangle block, and wondered why this thing was so hard. I finally completed that block, with trial and error and sheer luck, I guess. I can now see, from Holice's post, why I was having so much trouble. Thanks for your post!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
I have only been quilting for a year, so don't take my opinion too seriously. I have enough to worry about so I just use my quarter inch foot for all piecing and my tops are turning out fine. I try not to sweat the small stuff unless it really makes a difference! Happy Quilting!
Thank you Annalee ~ sounds like you have an accurate quarter inch foot; I tested mine last night, and it seems that it is a bit off, so I had to move my needle over 2 more times to the right before I got a true quarter inch.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

I took a class from Sally Collins (the queen of precision piecing). She said to align and cut using the left edge of the printed line on the ruler (this for right handed quilters). This little extra will compensate for the scant 1/4". I try to remember and do both (left side and scant). I find that I am more accurate in my piecing by doing this.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 AM

Triangles need a bit of a smaller seam to get them to come out right when the block is made. Don't sweat the small stuff. 1/4 or scant doesn't really make much difference as long as you're consistant. If you use a full 1/4" you blocks might not be quite as big as what the pattern calls for. Most of the time this won't matter. Just find the smallest one and square them all up to that size. Unless you're trying to make show quilts no one will notice.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 AM

I have always hated when a pattern calls for sewing a "scant" 1/4 inch. It really has no presice definition. Some say its one thread of the fabric off from the 1/4 inch another says its the cutting .... just give me patterns and templates with a real 1/4 inch. Then again we get into the whose ruler is the real 1/4 inch?!!!!! Or is the 1/4 inch foot really 1/4 inch?!!!
I have learned not to sweat it! I'll live fine and make beautiful quilts.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:52 AM

A great thread and great advice from ALL of you experienced quilters. Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom with us newbies.