Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which One?

Blog Entries

Which One?

I didn't have anything suitable in my stash for borders for this baby quilt so I went to Hobby Lobby to buy something. I couldn't decide which one of these two fabrics so I bought both! (Easy solution, right!) I just love the little duckies! Now, which one? Or which layout? I couldn't get the last photo to load, but it is a narrow blue border with a wider duckie fabric border. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Well, here's my .02, I would go with the narrow blue border and then the wider duckie fabric.

BTW, it looks like it will be a really cute baby quilt.

Blog Entries
    what Sync said would work well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Well, here's my .02, I would go with the narrow blue border and then the wider duckie fabric.

BTW, it looks like it will be a really cute baby quilt.
    i agree with this
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Can you post a picture of the rest of the quilt?

I'm not excited about either of those fabrics with the block(s) I can see.

The squirrels are very cute.

I like 2 borders. I think they will both look good.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

The squirrels are very cute.
    I agree. I'd like to see more of the quilt with the border fabric near it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I agree with Sync!
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

If those are your only two choices, I choose the blue. The other might work better if the background fabric was unbleached muslin. Gor me it just needs more color with the white.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

I agree. I'd be inclined to use something that would pull the reds, greens, and yellows together, instead of introducing more colors into the mix.

IMO, the background of the ducks doesn't fit the genre of the quilt. If you want to use one of these, I'd do a narrow red border, then the blue dots. A navy stopper strip wouldn't be bad, either. I like a strong color to contain the quilt colors before the border.

Blog Entries
    I dont like the blue at all. I go with the brown ducks and maybe use a solid light green or red as a thin stopper boarder before the ducks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I agree. I'd be inclined to use something that would pull the reds, greens, and yellows together, instead of introducing more colors into the mix.
    Would have to agree with NZ quilter if you want an honest opinion. Your squirrels are just too cute!

Squirrels are cute! For borders, (imho) I'd use a med/dark fabric that has colors in the top-like a green. Perhaps save the duckies and the blue for the next project...?
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the opinions and advice! I'll ask my DH which ones he like best. Unfortunately my stash isn't that big and half the color suggestions I don't have or am saving for something else, or I don't have enough of. Alas, if I only had a stash the size of a quilt store!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

If I could see the whole quilt my answer might be different. From what I see I would put a narrow border of white to frame the quilt and then a solid border of one of the colors in the quilt. The prints take away from the quilt blocks. The duck print has nothing to do with the squirrels that are your main focus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpedal View Post
    If I could see the whole quilt my answer might be different. From what I see I would put a narrow border of white to frame the quilt and then a solid border of one of the colors in the quilt. The prints take away from the quilt blocks. The duck print has nothing to do with the squirrels that are your main focus.
    I literally don't have any more of the fabrics in the quilt, otherwise I would love to do as you suggested. The green that I have was pieced together to make the blocks because I was short by 5"... I had to dig around and find 2.5"x 1" scraps to make it work. I have no more red or yellow either. And only a f8th of orange. It's a scrap quilt to the fullest extent But it doesn't look like it.

I'm not crazy about either fabric. They just don't do much for the quilt.
    Donnamarie

wonder if you have any of the green or yellow fabric left to use in the border with the ducks?

Working with what you have, I think the arrangement in the last picture would work best.
    Sally

Like some of the others, it is a cute quilt, but I am not fussy on your two new fabrics.
    I like them .. but not with the quilt you are working on now.

One consideration ... by chance is it big enough the size it is now at, before borders?
    If so, you could stop there, and put a binding on it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I like the third one with two borders, and your unposted fourth one with them reversed would probably work as well. When a quilt isn't all matchy-matchy I tend to think it looks better with more colors/fabrics.

I LOVE the squirrels.

Working with what you have, I would do a narrow blue border then a wide ducky border. However, I think they're a bit too pale to really enhance the beautiful blocks you've made.

I personally love the duckies, and would be tempted to save them for a different quilt where they could be the star.

I would get some red gingham for a border on this one. A green print would be nice, too, but it might be hard to get a green that compliments what you have in the blocks.

Blog Entries
    as some have said, I'm not crazy about either fabric for this project (although cute fabrics). do you have enough leftover pieces to make a piano key border? use a narrow white border to frame the project then the piano keys outer border. I've even done odd sizes going around and it still turns out cute.

what is that blue we see in the background? part of this quilt?
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast