Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
one of those days. >

one of those days.

one of those days.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:59 PM

I wanted to make a quilt for my 24 year old grand daughter. It was a scrappy bears paw with a black and brown background. She saw it on my design board and didn't like it. (boo hoo) She picked out a kit that she likes, black and brown. I can't even get started on it because it is so far from what I like!!

So I know how you feel!!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Thanks for sending the information about the dragonfly quilt, Sabrina. I just went to southwindquilts.com and couldn't find it, but I'll look again when I have more time. If it's not there, I'm hunting it down. I would really like to make your quilt!

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
Originally Posted by quiltin mimi
These quilts are gorgeous! The dragonfly quilt, especially, is absolutely stunning! I wish I had made it!
I know! These two quilts were for my niece. She is very picky and tactless. I had made her a baby quilt when she was a baby and she had given it back to me saying that she doesn't need it anymore because she is not a baby.

When I had shown the dragonfly quilt to my BOM club ladies everybody went balistic. It was a hard quilt for me to make at the time. I did not like it but after everybody gushed at it I finally did see its beauty. At least three of the ladies bought the pattern after the LQS owner ordered them in. I thought it was so funny. With my quilt, I was able to help the pattern's owner make more sales. The pattern is called "Dance of the Dragonflies" by Annette Ornelas. I think you can look at it on her website at www.southwindquilts.com.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:00 PM

Thanks for sending the information about the dragonfly quilt, Sabrina. I just went to southwindquilts.com and couldn't find it, but I'll look again when I have more time. If it's not there, I'm hunting it down. I would really like to make your quilt!

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
These quilts are gorgeous! The dragonfly quilt, especially, is absolutely stunning! I wish I had made it!
I know! These two quilts were for my niece. She is very picky and tactless. I had made her a baby quilt when she was a baby and she had given it back to me saying that she doesn't need it anymore because she is not a baby.

When I had shown the dragonfly quilt to my BOM club ladies everybody went balistic. It was a hard quilt for me to make at the time. I did not like it but after everybody gushed at it I finally did see its beauty. At least three of the ladies bought the pattern after the LQS owner ordered them in. I thought it was so funny. With my quilt, I was able to help the pattern's owner make more sales. The pattern is called "Dance of the Dragonflies" by Annette Ornelas. I think you can look at it on her website at www.southwindquilts.com.
I just looked and it is in there at that website. I forgot to mention that it would be under wallhangings. I saw it listed under page 3. It was a pretty old pattern. I made it several years ago. The quilt is only 51" X 51". I wanted it to be closer to a twin size. I had to adapt the ribbon border to fit my quilt size. That took awhile and several extra ribbon blocks later.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM

I made my son a quilt using colors from a shirt he really liked. The piecing pattern is not anything he is very impressed with, though....so I feel your pain.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 AM

I do agree that alot of children are being raised to be rude. I do not give my nieces and nephews presents for that exact reason but I do give my manicurist daughter things like a quilt because she appreciates it and thanks me.

OTOH, I dont think this girl was being rude, just honest. If she had received it as a gift, im sure she would have been polite but that's alot of work for polite so it is better to know now. I showed my GF one of my quilts, one that most people just love and she hated it. There is no accounting for taste.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM

So sorry, I feel your hurt thinking of all the love you put in on it. But don't give up, save this quilt for someone down the road who will be thrilled to get it. Maybe your granddaughter could go with you shopping for a pattern and fabric she would love and even help with the construction of the quilt?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 AM

I had a similar incident with my 24 year old grand daughter also.
I made a top with a scrappy bear's paw pattern alternating with brown and cream blocks. She didn't like it.
Then she picked out a pattern from one of my books and I sent for the kit, but I just can't get started on it because I don't like the colors!