Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: One of Those "Make a Pile" Estate Sales

  1. #1
    Super Member Daylesewblessed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    1,796

    One of Those "Make a Pile" Estate Sales

    I love that kind of sale -- no prices marked, family operated, customers ransacking the house, which is packed full of stuff. The sale I went to yesterday advertised "quilt tops and quilt pieces" with no mention of the words "sewing" or "fabric." It started at noon instead of in the morning.

    There were at least 2 dozen quilt tops, many little boxes filled with UFO's, lots of 80's type fabric, and other sewing items. So I made my "pile", which included 12 - 15 Precious Moments baby panels (great for my Project Linus quilts), 5 vintage quilt tops (decades earlier than the 80's), some unique children's fabrics, Olfa rotary cutter in package, a few books, and the garbage bag full of sewing patterns.

    I am looking for embroidered pillowcases for my quasi-crazy quilt project, so I checked out the linen closet. I couldn't find any, but there were 2 more boxes of fabric in there!

    Since I do Project Linus quilts, those Precious Moments panels will be put to use.

    If was a fun sale, and now I just need to find room to add these things to my stash!

    Dayle

  2. #2
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,469
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow, you lucked out. I guess I am just too worried about bringing bugs home, that I don't shop those places.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western australia
    Posts
    1,794
    what a fantastic find well done

  4. #4
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    ......

  5. #5
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    ......

  6. #6
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    How fun!!! Good on ya!

  7. #7
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    You did well ! ... and will be busy for quite awhile.

  8. #8
    QM
    QM is offline
    Power Poster QM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern California mountains
    Posts
    12,542
    Good for you...and those you serve.

  9. #9
    Super Member luvstoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Yorkville, IL
    Posts
    4,608
    Blog Entries
    3
    Oh what a great find. I can feel your excitement. I have not been to a really good sale for a long time. I am having withdrawals.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

    Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

  10. #10
    Super Member Raggiemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,589
    Sounds like lots of fun.
    Heather

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City Mo
    Posts
    1,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    iI can't wait for garage sale season to start here

  12. #12
    Senior Member tedytrser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    794
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    I love that kind of sale -- no prices marked, family operated, customers ransacking the house, which is packed full of stuff. The sale I went to yesterday advertised "quilt tops and quilt pieces" with no mention of the words "sewing" or "fabric." It started at noon instead of in the morning.

    There were at least 2 dozen quilt tops, many little boxes filled with UFO's, lots of 80's type fabric, and other sewing items. So I made my "pile", which included 12 - 15 Precious Moments baby panels (great for my Project Linus quilts), 5 vintage quilt tops (decades earlier than the 80's), some unique children's fabrics, Olfa rotary cutter in package, a few books, and the garbage bag full of sewing patterns.

    I am looking for embroidered pillowcases for my quasi-crazy quilt project, so I checked out the linen closet. I couldn't find any, but there were 2 more boxes of fabric in there!

    Since I do Project Linus quilts, those Precious Moments panels will be put to use.

    If was a fun sale, and now I just need to find room to add these things to my stash!

    Dayle
    Lucky you!!!!!
    Deb in Texas

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    861
    Hello I am new to the board, but I am also an avid garage saler, salvation army shopper, estate saler, etc. my DB is and exterminator has warned of bugs, but in return says to put in garbage bag and freeze it for a few days and you can kill the bugs, or bring it home and straight to the washer and you should be alright.

  14. #14
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Suring, Wisconsin
    Posts
    14,358
    What a great find! Have fun with it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by mimiof4 View Post
    Hello I am new to the board, but I am also an avid garage saler, salvation army shopper, estate saler, etc. my DB is and exterminator has warned of bugs, but in return says to put in garbage bag and freeze it for a few days and you can kill the bugs, or bring it home and straight to the washer and you should be alright.
    You'd be surprised to know that you can pick up bugs in stuff bought at dept. stores, in hotels, lots of places. Just wash as soon as you get home. These sales are much too enjoyable to miss. So I guess what I'm saying is that I agreewith mimiof4.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    806
    Lucky you! The garage sales around here are mostly JUNK, so I don't pay serious attention. Maybe I should look with a renewed more optimistic outlook.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,726
    Great find!!

  18. #18
    Super Member Zappycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,301
    Lucky you! I haven't come across a sale like that in a long time!

  19. #19
    Senior Member AprilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Haslet, TX
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    Wow, you lucked out. I guess I am just too worried about bringing bugs home, that I don't shop those places.
    I don't bring anything like that from garage sales into the house until it has been washed thoroughly. Leave it in the garage, bring it inside a few items at a time directly into the washing machine (or in the case of quilt tops or old quilts, into the jacuzzi tub.) the jacuzzi works great on quilts. Fill it up, add quilt, "aggitate" for a few minutes, add woolite or quilt cleaner, and let soak for an hour. Drain, fill, aggitate, repeat until all the soap/cleaner is gone. Works great.
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

  20. #20
    Senior Member GammaLou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    520
    Way to go. I LOVE estate sales!!

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north Texas
    Posts
    861
    Great day for you - congratulations

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    long island ny
    Posts
    1,326
    Sounds like fun Go girl!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    729
    LOVe those sales but i agree either freeze or launder them first

  24. #24
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,684
    ~Awesome!~
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

  25. #25
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    Wow, you lucked out. I guess I am just too worried about bringing bugs home, that I don't shop those places.

    Tightly closed plastic trash bags laid out in the sun a few days will cook bugs.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.