Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
one of THOSE quilts >

one of THOSE quilts

one of THOSE quilts

Old 07-19-2015, 02:38 PM

Default one of THOSE quilts

It has been several years since I have this much problem with a simple quilt, and it has ALL been operator error. LOL First let me say Thank you to Jenny from the MSQC, her tutorials are great, and easy to follow. I wanted something easy, that would use lots of scraps. Found one using 4-4 patch center and larger hst as star points. Now of course the tutorial uses layer cakes, but I have been cutting fabric for quilts for years, so I will just cut my own layer cakes, and charms from scraps. RIGHT--- Looking back (hind sight is always better) that is where things started going down hill LOL Made hst per jenny's way, looking good, squared up great, very little waste. Now tell me, how hard is I to make a 4 patch, have made 100's over the years. Spent 2 days trying to figure out why I could not sew a straight 1/4 seam, tried everything! Almost in tears, this is my new machine! Had it less than a year! Now ladies, an gentlemen. When you change your machine foot make sure you get that little screw on the side nice and tight. AUUUGH!! can not believe I did that!! Finally time to add star points! YEAH!! problem over! Right? WRONG! After sewing hst together to make points they don't fit. After tears, and a glass of wine with crackers, Jack (my ripper) and I went to work. It seam I cut my layer cakes on the large side, so had to cut all hst down by almost a inch. So glad They were to big, not too small. Finally, bocks done, just need to sew blocks together. Ran out of white thread, background fabric is white. After a fast trip to town, the top is fished! I am almost afraid to start quilting this one. LOL
Old 07-19-2015, 02:43 PM

Oh dear, I don't blame you! Sometimes when things start to go down hill, it's hard to think it will stop! If I were you, honestly, I would let it "rest" for a few days, then back at it with a positive attitude! You are in charge of this
Old 07-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Oh man! When it rains, it pours, right?

Hope everything is smooth sailing from here on out for you.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:49 PM

My mother would never sew on a Sunday. She said it would turn out badly.

Me...I sew whenever I want!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

It is NOT the first time I had a similar problem and I doubt that it will be the last time either. There are those occasional BUMPS in the road. Hang in there. It always seems that the "wrinkles" will disappear eventually.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:21 PM

Wow, you poor thing! I think these things happen just to make us appreciate when all goes smooth! Hang in there, it'll probably be one of the most beautiful quilts you've ever made!
Old 07-19-2015, 03:25 PM

I'm sorry you had so much trouble, but pat yourself on the back because you stuck with it. I can't tell you the number of times I've miss cut something as simple as a simple square and then wondered why they didn't fit together right. Please post a pic when you are finished so we can rejoice with you.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

sometimes quilts get done kicking and screaming. Us, not the quilt. But done it is,so thank your lucky stars and get onto the next one!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 AM

So sorry you had a bad time with it. We all have those days. That's when I put the project up and do something else for a while. I hate it when that happens.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:55 AM

Put it in the corner and let it think about the stress it has put you through. After some thought it will behave when you are ready to quilt it!! LOL