Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
online class >

online class

online class

Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 PM

Default online class

There is an online class for free motion quilting by Elizabeth Dackson. Has anyone ever heard of her and do you think it is worthwhile. I have a Viking Sapphire Q and love my machine and don't think anything wrong with it. I think it is me. When I FMQ I get long stitches, short stitches and I try to use same speed etc. Bobbin pulls to top and top to bottom so don't know if it is me or an adjustment or if I should just bite the bullet and take the class.
Thanks
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM

I don't know who's offering the class, but craftsy.com has a couple of machine quilting classes. They offer a money-back guarantee if you don't like the class, and you'll also be able to access it forever. Sorry I'm not familiar with the class or instructor you asked about.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Have you had your DSM recently serviced?? Long and short stitches most likely have to do with moving the quilt. I always taught people to listen to the pitch of a DSM and watch at the speed that the machine is moving the fabric. I would say I quilt at a medium slow speed. I can listen to my Bernina and know when I hit that speed and I know now how to match the movement of the quilt. Be sure you are able to look NOT at the needle but just ahead where you want to go. Just remember, most people know what speed they are going in their car without looking at the speedometer. Same things for you DSM. Before I become disable, I was even able to hit in the exact hole with my back-stitching. If there is a LQS nearby, I would suggest dropping by and signing up for a class where you can get one on one instruction. I was lucky to have taken a course from Harriet Hargrave. I was far from being a beginner but I still learn a whole lot from her one on one experience I will never forget for the rest of my life. Good Luck.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
I don't know who's offering the class, but craftsy.com has a couple of machine quilting classes. They offer a money-back guarantee if you don't like the class, and you'll also be able to access it forever. Sorry I'm not familiar with the class or instructor you asked about.
I just love my Craftsy classes. The instructors are known worldwide and are great. You can ask questions and the instructor will answer them personally. Also the classes are reasonably priced and many times on sale (I always wait for a sale). Plus they have a money back guarantee, no questions asked.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 AM

I don't know about classes, but I love to watch the videos. I would take a class if it were not too expensive. Now I can tell you that your problems sound the same as what I struggle with. The different stitch lengths I always thought my hands were changing speed.... so I try hard to watch that. I am not overly picky on my quilts so I am just trying to do better every time I try. When my bobbin or top thread pulls through I adjust my tension and that helps.... but I am no expert I am only a beginner