Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • opinion? Pfaff Expression 3.0 >
  • opinion? Pfaff Expression 3.0

• opinion? Pfaff Expression 3.0

Old 12-11-2018, 04:16 AM

Default opinion? Pfaff Expression 3.0

I have seen a Pfaff Expression 3.0 on a buy, swap, trade site recently. Does anyone here have experience with a machine such as this? It appears it has a larger harp than most machines.
    Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 AM
    Administrator

before you consider it, make sure there is a certified service and repair location near you.
    nobody else will work on one.
    Old 12-11-2018, 05:34 AM

Look for online reviews of the machine. Pfaffs are great machines, but sometimes specific machines (of any brand) have their specific problems.
    Old 12-11-2018, 08:46 AM

I have that exact machine and love it. Only thing I would like to have is a knee or foot operated presser foot lifter. The bigger harp is great and I have quilted king-sized quilts on it. Depending on price, I would definitely go for it! I was able to buy mine from an LSQ as it was a trade in for a 4.0.
    Old 12-12-2018, 03:51 AM

I recently purchased the 5.0. I was about to purchase the 3.0 new from a shop when I hesitated they offered the 5.0 that was used. I took the chance and have a beautiful machine. I like the larger harp and the bright light. The learning curve for basic sewing was quick. Some of the specialty stitches...well, I will never use. I got a needle down feature, and a feature that helps with more even stitches when quilting. It is not a stitch regulator but mimics one to an extent. I like the machine. It is quiet and so far a good purchase. One down side, there is always one, is the machine is heavy for me to carry about. This is not the machine I would take to a retreat just because of the weight. For you this may not be an issue. Make sure the second hand machine has a good basic selection of feet including a quilting foot or two. They are pricey and check that the machine comes with the users manual. Little things but ones that will keep you from frustration.

One thing to consider is if you have a local repair shop that will work on Pfaff. It is my understanding that the 3.0 is no longer being produced. Now that does now mean it is a poor machine only that the others models have more bells and whistles. But you do want to know if there is a shop to get replacement parts, extra special feet, bobbins (can use Viking bobbins). Happy machine shopping. It is a BIG decision.
    Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 AM

I've had various Pfaff models and recently was given a 4.0. I've loved them all. Few had tons of bells and whistles, but they sewed anything I threw at them, and I really appreciated the IDT. I took one for use at our church's quilt group, and it became the machine everyone wants to use. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my Pfaffs.
    Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 AM

I have a Pfaff 5.2 and a Pfaff 7570. Very pleased with both of them
    Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM

I have the Expression 3.5 machine and I enjoy the larger harp for ease of feeding the sandwich through for quilting. I do NOT like the pressure foot pressure. It struggles through seams of one seam and a single piece of fabric. Throws a curve in the sewn seam. Drives me nuts! Cannot adjust the pressure of the foot against the fabric.