Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinion Please... Handquilting problem >

Opinion Please... Handquilting problem

Opinion Please... Handquilting problem

Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 AM

I'm posting a picture of my question. I want to handquilt my granddaughter's quilt.... only problem is...the king size quilt doesn't fit my frame. I folded in the borders and think I should be able to quilt the body first and do the borders after I take it off the frame. After all, I hear of lots of people hand quilting in a hoop or small plastic snap frame. This wouldn't be much different. I will make sure the area I'm quilting is smooth and readjust when I turn the quilt.

I ask this question without any pictures and got discouraged. People thought it wouldn't be a good idea. I do appreciate their comments. I had my son and DH help me roll it on the frame so there weren't any huge wrinkles and it's square on the rails. If this won't work... okay. I just can't afford having it quilted by hand from someone else.... don't know anyone that does handquilting anymore anyway.

So give me your honest opinion..... I don't want to ruin the whole thing..... but I need to get it done..... cheaply, if possible.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168804.jpe   attachment-168878.jpe  
Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 AM

I forgot to mention.... the elastic straps on the side help keep it smooth in that direction. The second picture shows that.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 AM

I think it will work for you to quilt it like this. I have a Q-Snap floor frame and only part of my quilt is in my "work area" at any given time. I just start in the middle and work out to the outside. I think your frame will be fine.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 AM

I don't know why it wouldn't work. I handquilt without a hoop or frame; I drape it over my ironing board and "puddle" it on my lap. I've done 2 queen-sized this way and they turned out fine. It's all a matter of keeping the tension on the quilt even. I think you'll do fine. Try a small section and see how it goes; it's easier to remove handquilting than machine quilting.
Good luck--it's a beautiful quilt.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 AM

I personally haven't ever used a frame. I normally use a hoop on my lap and haven't had a problem.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I am a hand quilter and can tell you it WILL work!!! The system you have right now is perfect and then you can finish up the borders. Sometimes I don't even use a frame or hoop. Depends on where I am or what I'm in the mood to do.
Just think- you will hand quilt a beautiful heirloom!!!
Keep us posted, it's lovely!! :D
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 AM

Thank you all...... I really want this to work out and you've given me the confidence to go for it. When in doubt.... ask a quilter...... That's my stand, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Banned

Just wanted to encourage you. I feel confident that this will work fine as long as you are careful when repositioning.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I do very little hand quilting and I have never done a big quilt like that but I always use a hoop. After I saw this man do very large Hawaiian quilts on hoops I was sold. The hoop I have has two hoops, one on the top and one on the bottom. It lifts the quilt a little so you can work under it.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 AM

It'll work just fine...and your granddaughter's a lucky girl, that quilt is gorgeous!