Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions! baby lock vs janome! help! >

opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 AM

If you already have a Janome, then you might want to stick with Janome. I had used Brother machines exclusively for ages, then bought a Janome 8900. I've never bonded with it, so I bought another Brother and will do what comes naturally with the 8900. When I unpacked the Brother, even though it was a new model, it was like coming home again. I am thrilled to sit down at that machine every day, whereas when I sit at the Janome, it's like a chore to be done. I never sew more than a seam or two with it, then I'm back to the Brother.

You have to buy what you love, so test out all the machines in your price range and buy the one you like the best. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:25 AM

I just bought a Janome 2014 to take to classes. It replaces my 2010 which I gave to my granddaughter because it is simple, easy and dependable. The 2014 is the same. Couldn't be more pleased. Paid around $500 and got several extra bobbins and a foot for free. I truly wish now that I'd stayed with these basic machines instead of investing in several fancy models.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 PM

I have a Babylock Espire and a Janome 8900. Both are great machines but have different features that stand out. The Babylock has a great threading mechanism and tells you when you are about to run out of thread. I bought the Janome for the 11 inch harp and the walking foot is much better than the Babylock's. I think the Janome is the more solid machine with more metal than the Babylock and seems like it goes through thicker layers of fabrics with more ease. I have a Kenmore that was built by Janome that is about 14 years old and I have never had any problems with it. It is the machine that I use for classes and travel. Before you buy, you should test out each brand and then decide what features are most important for you.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
Love, love, love my Janome 6600 (about $1500). I also have a Janome Jem Platinum which is a great little machine for about $500.
I am saving for my dream machine Janome 6600, but right now using a little Janome Jem Silver limited edition, this little jem has me sold on Janome, I've researched it to every end I can. I have 3 other older machines but since getting the Jem at an Estate Sale & hearing her purr as I sew has me hooked on Janome...Still saving but I will have her someday..I will name her "Faith" because I have faith that someday or some year I will have her!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I have a Janome 7700, and it's a great machine. I also have a Brother PQ1500 and Brother PC-420. The PC-420 was fine, for about 2 months. I even bought a 2nd one, hoping it was a fluke that the 1st one broke down so quickly. Well it wasn't.
But I must say my absolute favorite machine is my Juki HZL-400. It sews just as great as my Janome, and actually it's got a quiter smooth running feel to it when I'm sewing. If it had the 11" harp like my Janome, it would be the clear cut fave of mine. And I paid a lot less for my Juki than my Janome.
Kif
I called Ken's yesterday to see if they had the Janome 6600 in stock because they are having a 2 yr interest free deal on financing I was told I had to go to a local dealer for that 6600P $1,5999, but if I would move up to the 7700 $2,599 and spend another $500 I could get the interest free 2yr financing. (I had to spend $3,000) to get the financing, ummm NO I just want the 9" harp which is far bigger than my little jems throat, of course the 7700 has an 11" throat but I don't need that either. I bought an older Tin Lizzie w/frame for $2,000 (don't even know how to use it lol) so I'm still going for the 6600P, starting to think I just might used a credit card and just go for it.....I deserve it
Old 06-21-2014, 03:38 AM

Buy what you want and what you can afford. Are you sure you would not want an extra 2" of harp space?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 AM

I think Janomes are great machines.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:36 AM

I'll throw something else in the mix - how bout a Juki? I love, love mine. Fabulous machine with a strong motor - my biggest complaint with the big names - they all use wimpy motors. That Juki will sew thru anything with no stalling. I just traded my 98Q for a 2010, and I also have a F-600.
Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
hi! my little janome is really starting to sound like a thrashing machine! i just don't have the money or the credit to get what i really WANT ( sound familiar? hehe) so i have to think of options that will help me endeavor what i want to pursue. i am thinking of getting a janome 1600P with a gracie frame for learning how to quilt on. however, i need a piecing machine. i am researching baby lock, like the grace or audrey, and also the janome like the dc2014 or 3160qdc, and i need opinions. since this reaches such a wide variety of audiences and i will get a more honest opinion from you rather than a dealer any comments you can give me would be SO much appreciated! thank you much!