Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Opinions on BabyLock Jane

Opinions on BabyLock Jane

I am thinking about getting a BabyLock Jane for Christmas. Does anyone have one and what do you think about it? My friend is a BabyLock dealer and is close geographically to me. (5 minutes by car) So the service is not an issue. I know you all love your Juki machines. But, in the name of preserving friendship and shopping local, that is not an option for me at this time. I already have a Viking I love so the Jane would be my at-home piecing machine- and maybe I would do some FMQ with it. What do you Jane owners think about your machines?

Have you tried it out?? I always believe you need to test drive the machine like a car before considering purchasing it. I still am quilting on my old Bernina 1530. I knew I was buying a quality machine back then and no regrets. We should compare between you and me who has the most UFOs.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by UFOs Galore View Post
    I am thinking about getting a BabyLock Jane for Christmas. Does anyone have one and what do you think about it? My friend is a BabyLock dealer and is close geographically to me. (5 minutes by car) So the service is not an issue. I know you all love your Juki machines. But, in the name of preserving friendship and shopping local, that is not an option for me at this time. I already have a Viking I love so the Jane would be my at-home piecing machine- and maybe I would do some FMQ with it. What do you Jane owners think about your machines?
    there are 3 user reviews on Sewing Pattern Review, if interested.

Thank you slbram for the "heads up" about Sewing Pattern Review. I went to the site and read the reviews.
    Maniac Quilter.. I have tried it out. I liked sewing with it. I realize there is a learning curve with new machines. I think the information I am looking for is about its longevity/reliability and are you glad you purchased it. Were you able to get used to it and did the Jane live up to expectations.

If you plan to free motion quilt on it, then take a quilt sandwich and try it out on it.

I love my Jane! Great for piecing and FMQ. I've had it 2 years - no issues with it at all.

I purchased my Jane in July from my dealer. I love the machine. I have no FMQ skills yet, but I've quilted 3 baby and 2 twin quilts straight line (with and without a walking foot) and I'm very happy with the stitch quality. The bobbin winder is terrific; the noise level is fine, not loud, but she doesn't purr because she's a heavier-duty mechanical girl. Here's what I wish was a little better (but I'm not really complaining just laying out my observations):
    You'll struggle a bit loading the bobbin unless you have skinny fingers - it's awkward to get in there.
    The needle plate is not completely flat on the bed which causes issues when I'm piecing. So I cut up an old credit card and taped it between the needle plate and the edge of the bed and now the whole surface is the same level.
    I cannot figure out the needle threader, and I'm not the only one who says this.

I purchased my machine for $680 which to me is a great price. And oh yes, Jane will sew with any thread I feed her.

I have the Baby lock Elizabeth and the Crescendo, love them both!!!
    Haven't tried the Jane but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Babylock again.
    Previously I owned 2 Berninas and sold one to buy the Elizabeth. I know several ladies that have bought the Babylock and have never been sorry. Jmho.

Thank you all for your helpful responses about the Jane. I ordered mine today.

I love my Jane! No regrets whatsoever! I had tried out a few machines at a Sewing expo & just loved everything about the Babylock Jane.
    Maureen

I have a BL ellure plus....eh! Not again........make sure the one you are looking at takes bulky, uneven seams....this one doesn't...skips stitches, and no one has an answer.....will be shopping elsewhere in spring......

now is am using my ever faithful Viking to finish this project. (MSQC orange peel)

I got my Jane a little over a year ago and use it all the time and flat out love it! I tried out the Juki and the Jane side by side I went in three times with quilt sandwiches and FMQ on each. While there was some features I really liked about the Juki like the speed control and the additional pre tensioner, I also hated a few thing I hated the foot control I kept cutting my thread and the threader. Even the salesperson could barely make that work lol.

But the selling feature to me besides the better manufacture warranty was the feel and that varies by person I just liked how the machine pulled the fabric thru, how the quilt sandwiches glided over the table. I have no regrets and have done a ton on her. There is a learning curve with tension and each time you change thread or needles you need to adjust but I am starting to get a feel for that. The more I do the faster I can adjust the tension and move on. I don't have any problem with where the bobbin is or the threader that threader is slick to use.

Geri M, I sold my BL Ellure for the reasons you stated. Had a lot of problems with the bobbin, had to take it back numerous times. Needle kept falling out no matter how much it was tightened. Too much hassle!

Have the Jane and just love it. I have another couple of machines if I want "fancy" machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
    Geri M, I sold my BL Ellure for the reasons you stated. Had a lot of problems with the bobbin, had to take it back numerous times. Needle kept falling out no matter how much it was tightened. Too much hassle!
    Yes, that has happened too...I texted the tech on website and was told that the part that the screw screws into was stripped and the part could be replaced by the dealer for about $145.00! No way...never had a machine that had that problem and I've had many machines!

Ive had the Jane for almost 3 years and use it a lot. Shes a Beast and shes reliable. When I make bags, she goes through multiple layers of foam and fabric with a great stitch that other machines cannot. Love it. Thank you everyone for your reviews.