Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on Handi Quilter Sweet 16 Sit down machine? >

Opinions on Handi Quilter Sweet 16 Sit down machine?

Opinions on Handi Quilter Sweet 16 Sit down machine?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
I have looked at this one, but decided to get a Juki 2010 instead. $899 and even tho the arm isn't as long as the HQ it is much nicer than my Singer Futura that I was quilting with (7 big quilts last year) When I have room I am going to get a frame so I can stop pushing the quilt through the machine AND just drive the machine around the quilt.
I wanted the HQ Sweet Sixteen but my pocketbook said the Juki.
I have it on layaway with the GMQ Pro frame and I get to pick it up in 2 more payments.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 PM

I love my Sweet 16. The cost, space required, and the sit-down factor sold me. I had a Pfaff Grand Quilter already and was already used to moving the quilt so that was a no-brainer for me too.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM

If any would be interested i have a viking long arm 18x8 with the 10 feet imperial frame brand new in the box for sale. I live in California but it can easily be shipped. I am asking for $5500 and just to let you know i alreayd have another one that i am using and it is a beautiful machine. I already posted a pic of a quilt i did using the machine and i just finished another one yesterday and ready to load one more tonight.
Pm if interested
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Don't have a lot of $ but this one seemed affordable for me...any opinions -- good or bad?
I know of a few people who have gotten them ... they got their's for price, size of throat/harp, and overall size of machine. All were glad they got their machines. They did wish they had more room in their homes and more $$$ for one of the newer bigger HandiQuilters.

ali
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I considered this one. I contacted the company to find out when they would have a unit in my state for me to test drive. It's a good price point and if you have limited space, a good option. You move the quilt, like you would with a domestic machine. There is quite a large harp area compared to a regular sewing machine and a large table, but I decided I didn't want to wrestle quilts anymore, both to pin/baste the sandwich and then to quilt, so I got a Tin Lizzie long arm.
Contact the company to see when a rep will be in your State with a unit. Test drive one with YOUR large quilt, not just a small test piece to make sure it's for you!
Here's my dilemma...I don't have $15,000+ for a "real" longarm and I'm trying to teach this "old dog" a new trick because when I learned how to quilt all they were doing was handquilting, and try as I might, I can't seem to maneuver my quilts through my regular machines so I thought more space=an easier time? I also live in a teeny tiny house with absolutely no space for a long arm...
You can get longarm systems for a wide range of prices....several are between $5,000-$8,000. Go to a large quilt show and try out a few. They've all got their pros & cons.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I considered this one. I contacted the company to find out when they would have a unit in my state for me to test drive. It's a good price point and if you have limited space, a good option. You move the quilt, like you would with a domestic machine. There is quite a large harp area compared to a regular sewing machine and a large table, but I decided I didn't want to wrestle quilts anymore, both to pin/baste the sandwich and then to quilt, so I got a Tin Lizzie long arm.
Contact the company to see when a rep will be in your State with a unit. Test drive one with YOUR large quilt, not just a small test piece to make sure it's for you!
Here's my dilemma...I don't have $15,000+ for a "real" longarm and I'm trying to teach this "old dog" a new trick because when I learned how to quilt all they were doing was handquilting, and try as I might, I can't seem to maneuver my quilts through my regular machines so I thought more space=an easier time? I also live in a teeny tiny house with absolutely no space for a long arm...
Posted 3X!!!! Ugggghhh!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Power Poster

I tried the Easy Quilter at a quilt show and loved it:
http://www.easyquilter.com/eq1.htm

Although sit-down, with the Easy Quilter you are moving the machine rather than the quilt. The one at the show was with a Janome 1600P (fast stitches per minute) that has a larger harp than conventional domestic machines and therefore can take the slightly larger table. The setup was very compact, yet very easy to use. I sat down at it, the seller said to simply floor the pedal, and it was amazingly easy to make loops, leaves, flowers, etc. right away!

For this system it's easy to spray baste your quilts (which I do anyway). For large quilts, you separate the batting into sections.

I'd probably get the Easy Quilter setup over the Sweet 16 mainly because it allows moving the machine instead of the quilt. Cost of everything new would be about $1500 for the Janome 1600P and $700 for the table-top frame.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 AM

I just got my sweet 16 and love it. I have quilted fairly large quilts on my regular machine and fought with them. On the 16 I don't have to fight and enjoy the free motion quilting. I have yet to learn how to use rulers but that will be fixed in a couple of weeks when I attend the Milwaukee Machine Quilting Show, I hope.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 AM

If you go to te HandiQuilter site you can see the locations of the stores in your area that carry them. The Sweet Sixteen is nice to be able to do the sit down quilts. I had the HQ16 and have upgraded to the HQ18 Avante. Good quality and lots of support from HQ. It all depends on what you like, space and $$$. Love mine.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:29 AM

I saw a new to me long arm sit down model at the Knoxville quilt show that you might want to consider. It was very affordable. It is the Empress and and you can see info here:
http://www.empressquilter.com/Sitdown.html
No affiliation just thought it was interesting and was told that it is made by Tin Lizzie. Ann in TN