Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Opinions on Handi Quilter Sweet 16 Sit down machine?

I tried out LAs for 2 years (all of ones at the Houston Quilt Show) before I decided. Then took several LA classes from LQS before I decided which one to buy. I also studied where local vendors were for repairs & maintenance and whether some of the LAs had local groups that might get together to trade tips and give assistance. Since I live in 2 states, I had 2 areas to deal with for my criteria. I have several vendors to choose from both places I live.

I ended up with Jewel (BabyLock). Besides getting the LA, along with the leader cloths, frame, channel locks, laser stylus, etc..., I paid $8900. BabyLock also offered classes 6-8 times a year on the Jewel machines in St. Louis which I am on my way to in September. the classes are for 4 days. You just need to bring your project.

I almost bought one at the Paducah Show. After testing it several times I pretty much decided that my needs could be served just as well with the Brother 1500S that I also looked at. The 16 was selling for $4500 and the Brother $800. I haven't been sorry with my decision. For the price they wanted for the 16 I felt that a stitch regulator should have been part of the package.

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird
    I saw a new to me long arm sit down model at the Knoxville quilt show that you might want to consider. It was very affordable. It is the Empress and and you can see info here:
    http://www.empressquilter.com/Sitdown.html
    No affiliation just thought it was interesting and was told that it is made by Tin Lizzie. Ann in TN
    What is the price point on this?
    The show special for the sit down with table was $2999.00. The stand up model with stitch regulator and 10 ft frame set up in your home was $4999.00. That was the show price. If you were to order somewhere else or later it would be another $1000.00 each. I would find a show with a dealer and take a look if you think you might be interested. Ann in TN

I want one!!!!

Blog Entries
    I saw a new to me long arm sit down model at the Knoxville quilt show that you might want to consider. It was very affordable. It is the Empress and and you can see info here:
    No affiliation just thought it was interesting and was told that it is made by Tin Lizzie. Ann in TN
    What is the price point on this?
    The show special for the sit down with table was $2999.00. The stand up model with stitch regulator and 10 ft frame set up in your home was $4999.00. That was the show price. If you were to order somewhere else or later it would be another $1000.00 each. I would find a show with a dealer and take a look if you think you might be interested. Ann in TN
    Wow! That is a great price! I want...

I had seen the Sweet Sixteen at a quilt show and loved it. Unable to afford it and after research I got a Juki 2000qi and I LOVE it. In future I hope to purchase a frame. Have been looking into the Gracie Quilting Frames.

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Anywhere I can get a look at it? May in Jersey who is about to wrestle a twin size quilt through her Pfaff on a very hot and humid day.
    Quilting Possibilities in Forked River has one.

I rented time on their HQ Avante (18") last week...for me a better option than purchasing a LA machine. They were extremely helpful!

I have the Tin Lizzie sit down machine and love it. It is pretty much the same as the HQ 16 sit down. I got this one because I had a Tin Lizzie long arm (had to give it up because we moved to a smaller place) and I like the feel of the Tin Lizzie better than the HQ. If you can test drive both of them before you decide.

Blog Entries
    i tried the sweet sixteen but sitting that long is not for me and i really would want a stitching regulator. was trying to figure if it would still be stable if i put lifts under the legs

Banned
    I'd keep an eye out for used machines; I got my Tin Lizzie for a really affordable price that included the frame.

I love the looks of that one. With my bad knee, once I start doing machine quilting, I will have to sit down to do it. Thanks for the link

Just a little reminder. The Tin Lizzie is a streatch maicheine. Thus the neck heigth of a regular machine. If your choose to go Handi Quilter, if at some later date you want to turn it into a stand up model, you can. and you will still have the heighth and length of a long arm. Good luck!

I like the handi quilters and you can get one for alot less than 15,000, especially if you don't go for the computerized machines. There seem to be alot of good used machines available. It is always cheaper if you can find someone that bought new and decides to upgrade to a bigger machine. I can't imagine trying to move a queen size quilt around under the needle... I would have a heck of a mess in no time.

My Tin Lizzie has the same height and throat as a HQ. And you can also upgrade it to a standard stand up model. I love my Tin Lizzie. It was way more affordable than the HQ and I love that I can do any maintanence on it. All of the components are plug and play. If there is a problem you simply call tin lizzie and they can usually diagnose it and send you the replacement part.Very little down time. I got mine at the Lancaster AQS show. I got the floor model so it was very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by gotta-sew
    Just a little reminder. The Tin Lizzie is a streatch maicheine. Thus the neck heigth of a regular machine. If your choose to go Handi Quilter, if at some later date you want to turn it into a stand up model, you can. and you will still have the heighth and length of a long arm. Good luck!

The Empress which I was told was made by Tin Lizzy comes in either the sit down or frame/stand up model. The throat area is 6"X18". The thing that I liked was that it has double capacity M bobbins, which are larger than the standard home machine uses. Also comes with a built in bobbin winder. The frame model comes with stitch regulator. I have never seen a sit down model from any of the manufacturers that has a stitch regulator. I guess that is the difference between moving the quilt under the needle in the sit down opposed to
    moving the head of the machine over the quilt on the frame.
    Ann in TN

Mine was $5300, which included the machine, table, 2 extensions (one for each side - these are totally optional), bobbin winder and shipping charges and tax. Shipped right to my door. I think the base price for machine & table is $4295, but dealers often have specials, especially at various quilt shows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I considered this one. I contacted the company to find out when they would have a unit in my state for me to test drive. It's a good price point and if you have limited space, a good option. You move the quilt, like you would with a domestic machine. There is quite a large harp area compared to a regular sewing machine and a large table, but I decided I didn't want to wrestle quilts anymore, both to pin/baste the sandwich and then to quilt, so I got a Tin Lizzie long arm.
    Contact the company to see when a rep will be in your State with a unit. Test drive one with YOUR large quilt, not just a small test piece to make sure it's for you!
    Here's my dilemma...I don't have $15,000+ for a "real" longarm and I'm trying to teach this "old dog" a new trick because when I learned how to quilt all they were doing was handquilting, and try as I might, I can't seem to maneuver my quilts through my regular machines so I thought more space=an easier time? I also live in a teeny tiny house with absolutely no space for a long arm...
    If I were in your home space, I would just learn QAG. IMHO

I have an HQ 16 with a 12' frame. I love it! I also got it for under $10,000. :)

LaceLady just posted she has Sweet 16 and loves it. I would PM her for her help about the LA in question. :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by desertrose
    LaceLady just posted she has Sweet 16 and loves it. I would PM her for her help about the LA in question. :D :D :D
    I tried a Sweet 16 a couple of weeks ago. It was truly "Sweet"

Quote Originally Posted by mshollysd
    I have looked at this one, but decided to get a Juki 2010 instead. $899 and even tho the arm isn't as long as the HQ it is much nicer than my Singer Futura that I was quilting with (7 big quilts last year) When I have room I am going to get a frame so I can stop pushing the quilt through the machine AND just drive the machine around the quilt.
    I wanted the HQ Sweet Sixteen but my pocketbook said the Juki.
    I have it on layaway with the GMQ Pro frame and I get to pick it up in 2 more payments.
    I am leaning toward the grace pro frame. DH says next time a big check comes flowing through the door, I can get it. LOL. He needs to help me find room for it. LOL Question is whether I need a King size or can I do with a queen.

Hi,
    I thought about the Sweet Sixteen - but did not want to have to sandwich the top - backing and batting... So I went with the HQ 16. I have had it since May and really have enjoyed using it. The space issue can be a problem though - I was able to place mine in one of the garage stalls that just happened to be empty. I agree with many of the folks here .. if possible go to a show and test drive different makes and models and see what will work the best for you. I really am glad that I took the plunge and bought one of these fabulous machines..

Good Luck,
    Sue

HQ Sweet Sixteen

Hello, I'm new to this forum and website, and am so glad I found it. I wanted to see what others thought of the HQ Sweet 16. I played with one at my dealer not too long ago, have saved and was given a gift from my Mom towards this machine.....and finally this weekend I get to go play again and place my order!!!!

I'm so excited!!! Thanks to y'all for sharing.

I got my 18" tin Lizzie sit down at a quilt show for 2999.00 including shipping...Tin Lizzie has a larger work table area and one other thing to be aware of is there is not as much to go wrong with it as is the sweet 16....The sweet 16 has a lcd screen which could go bad...I was in aLQS yesterday that had a Sweet 16.....I tried it and am glad I had gotten the Tin Lizzie
    Buzzy Bee

Did anyone buy the Empress? Did you like it?
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2