Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions....I'm not Sure >

Opinions....I'm not Sure

Opinions....I'm not Sure

Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM

Default Opinions....I'm not Sure

I've been collecting reds and been on the look out for a pattern to show them off. They are all the same value more or less with a bit of pattern here and there, but all red. I have a lovely dove grey and a selection of whites to go along with them.

I ran across this pattern and I'm wondering what you all think it would look like if I made the coloured areas with the reds, the centre light areas grey and the outsides in the variety of whites.

It is the Still Waters pattern by Jordan fabrics and if you go to the video below and fast forward to 8:13, you'll see a picture of what the quilt looks like. If you forward some more, you'll see the actual quilt, in Donna's colours.

I'm also open if anyone has any other ideas for patterns for this colour combination. I'm looking for something a bit elegant.

Here's the Jordan's Fabrics link.

Thanks in advance.

Watson
Old 10-29-2020, 09:05 PM

I think all the different reds would look good with that quilt. pattern You could always cut enough to make one block and see if you like the effect. I think you will.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:37 PM

That would look really good, Watson. Of course, if you wanted to throw some black in there as well, those colors would look good in my current mystery, too.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:37 AM

I don't see any reason why it would not work with your color choices. I have seen this quilt pattern before and admired the circular illusion created by the triangles. It was fun to see how easy this old traditional pattern is created. I look forward to seeing your version. Start cutting those triangles!
Old 10-30-2020, 03:11 AM

What a great pattern and yes Watson...I think your reds would look marvelous in that pattern.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:45 AM

Great pattern and how could you go wrong with my favorite color, RED! I can’t wait to see your finished quilt. It will be Devine!
Old 10-30-2020, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Watson, I think that's a great pattern for your color choices. What a beauty!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:36 AM

The one thing I tend to do when I am trying to extend the palate to use with given colors like red and green is to use a color wheel and see what comes up in common for both of them. The grey is a good choice and so is white. Both pull out the other two colors and make them pop. A color wheel is very inexpensive if you don't have one and can open a new world of color choices that you may n ever have considered. Best of luck.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:00 AM

I think that quilt pattern would look fantastic in your proposed colors! I really like that you will have a variety of fabrics for the "background" part of the quilt. I think when using a variety of fabrics for the foreground, that a variety of (closely related) background fabrics makes the quilt way more appealing. I am looking forward to seeing what you create!
Old 10-30-2020, 07:07 AM

I took a class on the tumbling blocks quilt years ago and one woman made the quilt for her son in black, gray and white. It was stunning. I think you could do the same thing with red, gray and white.