Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Opinions needed about Accuquilt, please?

I have the studio cutter and absolutely love it. Strips have never been straighter and faster. Not much waste if you line it up correctly. Best of all a friend of mine has one as well and we buy different dies so we can share.

Thats a great idea, sharing the dies, would save alot of money!

I have the Accuquilt Studio cutter and I love it. I use it nearly 100% of the time. If I have the right die for the blocks I'm definitely going to use it. It is an expensive system but well worth it. I recently cut hundreds of block components for a raffle quilt my longarm guild is making. I don't consider it wasteful at all..1/4" of waste is not a big deal to me.

Love my studio. Cutting the binding alone is worth it.

I love my Accuquilt Studio! Never thought it to be wasteful. My time and saving wear and tear on my aging bones is worth something!

I bought one and it wAs too hard to turn and just wasn't practical. I sold it for half price.

Blog Entries
    I think it's just a trade-off. You get ease and convenience in exchange for a little more waste. For me, it's worth it. For others, maybe not. There's rarely a solution that's perfect for everyone.

I use mine for the different shapes for app. I love the trees,acorns, and the different shapes that would be terriable to try to cut out. dragonflys etcs.
    I also have the strips but haven't used them that much.
    I found that if you cut your fabric closer to the shape you don't waste that much. What i do is use the scraps from other projects to make the different shapes.
    I plan to use it alot more. But I do really like it for the projects that I have used it on. kjym Kathy

i love mine. expecially the 2 1/2 strip cutter. i plan on getting more dies soon for doing some applique.

Blog Entries
    I purchased the Go with several die cuts, but for some reason I am afraid to even try cutting.I cannot explain my reluctancy to proceed. Is this normal???

As far as waste there only is some if you don't place the fabric to prevent waste. For me the Go or other die cutting machine saves alot of time for one thing in cutting multiple same piece at one time as many as 8-10 in one move/cut.

It also is alot more accurate with the cut than rotary or scissor cutting.

Also for those of us with medical conditions that prevent us from using rotary cutters this is an awesome machine.

I have MS and find these die cutting machines awesome and very user friendly.

But like anything else it's not for everyone. Everyone has there own needs and what works for one may not be useful for someone else.

Just purchased one Thurs. Getting ready to try it out.
    Hope I love it!! From all the PLUS comments I have heard about them I do not think I have gone wrong with this purchase.

I have the studio and love it. It cuts down on all my cutting time by 3/4.

Waste is totally in the hands of the person operating the machine. I recently demonstrated the Studio for my quilt guild and told them that, since I was quickly doing a demo, I was wasting more fabric than normal - the important part was to use fan folding as a technique and learning to align the fabric for the most efficient cuts.

To the person whose quilt shop required an extra 1/4 yard of fabric to cut squares, that's absolutely ridiculous on their part & sounds more like them trying to earn extra revenue than them actually requiring that much more fabric. You'd need an extra inch, maybe two if the fabric's not on grain, but 9? Insane.

I have all three of AccuQuilt's die cutters, and have to say the Studio has been the most useful, followed by GO! Baby. I cut a queen sized double wedding ring (with the pieced rings) in less than an hour.

My favorite activity was making 20 yards of bias binding in one pass of the Studio cutter. Being able to cut 10 layers of fabric is amazing, and I can't tell you how many more projects I've been able to get done because I have a die cutter.

A lot of projects are easily adapted to the die cutter. One of my friends had a pattern that called for something like 200 1-1/4" strips; she decided to adapt the pattern for 1-1/2" strips since it could be cut with a die that I had.

For the folks who are having problems getting accurate cuts - there are loads of videos out there to help (including my own) but if you're having trouble you can send me a message, or just call AQ customer service - they are VERY helpful!

ebony

I just began to learn quilting a few months ago but I did invest in an Accuquilt Go. I love cutting the strips I have needed, with it. I cut my first quilt top using a rotary cutter and it was okay but there were variations in the size of the strips no matter how I measured and cut. I guess I'm just not good with the ruler and rotary cutter. I have only worked on three quilt tops so far but I can see how my Go will give me greater accuracy as I continue to learn. I like it.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I only have the GO cutter..But the larger ones have a lot of dies that would save a lot of time...

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz
    If you are going to buy a die-cutter I highly recommend the Sizzix Big Shot Pro Westminster Edition which is pretty much like the AccuQuilt Studio and costs less than the AccuQuilt Go or AccuQuilt Studio.

I purchased this for $280.00 on eBay from a retailer who I negotiated a price with. It retails for $399. The Studio goes for almost $600 and the Go for almost $350.00.

I chose the Westminister edition because it will use ALL BRANDS of dies to cut fabric with and since I like to do applique and do purchase not just the AccuQuilt dies I also buy alot of the Sizzix, Tim Holtz, etc which cost a whole lot less than Accuquilt dies unless you do alot of research like I do and can find even Accuquilt dies for less than 50% off retail.

I also chose this machine because it will also allow you to cut all sorts of materials from cardstock, vinyl, fabric and much more and it also doubles as an embossing machine.

Only drawback is that this is a heavy machine like the Studio and not something you can just pick up and carry with you so if you are only using it at home I highly recommend you check into this one because of the versality of using every brand of cutting dies out there. It also uses ALL of the accuquilt studio dies on down to the Go and Baby Bug with the exception of the Jumbo and EX-large of the Studio dies but it will take all othe studio dies.

I have seen the Accuquilt Go in action several times and it is a great little machine however the cutting mats do not last has long as the acrylic mats used on the Big Shot that I have.

Now if you intend on taking this machine to school or anywhere else I recommend the Accuquilt Go over the Accuquilt Baby. Why waste money buying the Baby and later updating to the Go and you can get the Go for about what the Baby retails for if you shop around.

You have to consider the type/size dies you want to cut. The Baby only allows a certain size while the Go will take the Baby and Go dies.

If you don't want to be limited to the type cuts/dies I recommend the Sizzix Big Shot which will be similar to the AccuQuilt Go and cost less.

Decide what it is you want it to do than search online and compare these I mention and compare them to the Accuquilt.
    Thanks for your info, have been looking for posts on this cutter & your info sure settles it for me. Have heard of a lot of problems with the AccuQuilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    I don't love mine (and am disappointed that I don't love it). I can't get it to cut the fabric without stretching. And I do have the length/widthwise grains positioned correctly, I do send it through at an angle, I do only send 1 layer of fabric through, etc, and my squares are always slightly rectangular. Which I can cut squares that are slightly rectangular on my own! I did appreciate it when I was teaching 88 students to cut and was able to quickly cut 176 triangles and 88 squares, since the kids didn't care/know that they weren't perfectly accurate. But I don't know if I would buy it again
    Have you used the suggestion to use a clean piece of white paper between the fabric and the mat? And are you being careful to line up the fabric grain and the die edges?
    Finally, if you 'pre-dut' pieces too small, they can stretch.

If you have arthritis or shoulder problems, the Go really helps - AND you can cut all pieces for a quilt quilt quickly. It's a bit 'stiff' to turn at first, but it soon becomes easier to turn.

I love the accuracy of the dies. I cut HSTs with 4 layers of fabrics, right sides together, pick pairs up and sew them together. Dog ears are cut off by the dies. If my 1/4" seam is accurate, NO SQUARING UP needed!!!!! I don't dread HSTs any more.

If you keep twisting and turning your mat, it lasts a LONG time. I haven't had to change the original mat that came with the GO, and I've cut 100s of HSTs with the die that came with the GO with it. Considering that the mat is also being 'hit' with the other 2 shapes on that die, that's a lot of use out of that mat, and it's still good!

Shop around - you can almost always find a better price than the $350 original for the Go cutter. www.jhittlesewing.com has it for less than that with free shipping. Their die prices are good, too.

I have had my Grande Mark now called The Studio I think, for 4 years now & I just love it to pieces! I have bad Arthritis in both wrists and the Accucut preserves them for other things. It really has been a godsend. I got money for gifts so I could order Dies. My friends have had me cut kits for them so I charged a little & used that for more Dies. It sure saves a lot of time!

I don't love mine (and am disappointed that I don't love it). I can't get it to cut the fabric without stretching. And I do have the length/widthwise grains positioned correctly, I do send it through at an angle, I do only send 1 layer of fabric through, etc, and my squares are always slightly rectangular. Which I can cut squares that are slightly rectangular on my own! I did appreciate it when I was teaching 88 students to cut and was able to quickly cut 176 triangles and 88 squares, since the kids didn't care/know that they weren't perfectly accurate. But I don't know if I would buy it again
    Have you tried laying a sheet of paper on top of your fabric directly under your cutting mat? You would be surprised how much more accurate your cuts are with little or no stretching. I love my Go and this is how I solved the stretching problem, especially with the strip dies. I found this tip in one of the videos posted on u-tube related to the Accuquilt Go.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter
    Hi my dear friends,
    I am a school administrator, with 12 hour work days being the norm. I spend what seems to be lots of time cutting, and it seems to take me forever.
    I saw the Accuquilt cutting machine and hmmmmmmmm......have any of you used it? On my first thought, it may save me loads of time while creating consistency with my cutting-and I can devote more time creating!
    What do you think??
    I love my GO I would not buy the baby go because you can only use the baby dies.The Accuquilt can use the baby and GO dies.If you can afford them they are wonderful.
    It does not have fabric waste if you put the fabric on the go right. I use to waste fabric cutting wrong or slipping now I took all the wasted or cut wrong fabric and used my Go to make squares, 1/2 triangles and strips. NO WASTE!!

You can purchase the Accuquilt Go at Quilters Warehoue for 207.00 including the value die set.(No affiliations)

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of good video (quilt patterns, projects and blocks) on my blog regarding the Studio and the Go...I love them both. http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/
    I highly recommend the Go or the studio. I have been doing rotary cutting for a class...the die cutters are so much easier, less waste and I don't make mistakes cutting.

I bet you could pick up one of these ladys aqquaquilts at a good price. I have the GO and love it you can also pick up free patterns for the dies you get. Also there are some web sites that have some of there patterns for the GO. I love myne I am working on a quick quilt that calls for the Tumbler righr now. I do cut alot with the rotary because I have alot of kits that call for something else but if it calls for one I can use with the GO I use it. You can cut easily through 4 at a time if your weak and 6 if your strong depending on the fabric. I cut 4 all the time.
    Good luck and thank you for spending so much time with oue kids Lord knows they need it..

I've heard some folks say putting a piece of paper on top of fabric prevents stretching.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I love mine.. No complaints here... Hardly any waste as Ive marked my dies like Ebony suggested.. You have to 'tweek' out the problems your facing and try another method.. Ive read quite a few good ones on here too..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3