Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please, color triad ? >

Opinions please, color triad ?

Opinions please, color triad ?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Here is another try at a triad, I don't have a big selection of golds, cheddars or yellows, or enough of any that I like.

Feel free with opinions. I am just playing outside my norms.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576761[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576762[/ATTACH]

Thanks everyone.
peace
Attached Thumbnails dsc08262.jpg   dsc08266.jpg  
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I really liked the first one best. The orange just looked a little off to me. But I'm always a bit afraid of color
Old 07-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes one has to try all the options - just to make sure
Old 07-18-2017, 01:07 PM

No question for me, the first one works best. Why?
1. the very pale pink defines the spaces and shows off the other fabrics
2. the scale of the pale pink works great
3. the blue undertones all harmonize

Second one -- everything just runs together visually versus the first one, which blends with contrast

Last one-- better than the second, but the orange looks dull

Try a tangerine color if you have it--or an orange with a bluish undertone instead of yellow. Or a neon orange (think vibrant dreamsicle) --and as close to solid as possible.

Glad you're trying fabrics out of your norm. It's hard, so I applaud your attempt. I have a hard time with colors that aren't bright. I have made one or two quilts whose colors I don't gravitate to, and while they turned out fine, they don't excite me. Color is so personal; if you're just not "feelin' it", don't waste your effort if this one's for you.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:38 PM

I think the first option looks best. The reason I think so is because this pattern is a traditional pattern not a modern one and the addition of the sherbet color looks like it belongs on a modern quilt. JMO
Old 07-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

If you are taking pictures of all your layouts- print them out and then look at them in a day or so.

It is interesting how changing just one fabric can alter the over-all effect of an item.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Not to muddy the waters but I was wondering if you went even lighter than the pink, for example, maybe a white tone on tone or something like that, if it would make more of a pleasing contrast. Or maybe a light green tone on tone.
It's a little tricky because our screens are not always true to color. A friend of mine takes black and white photos with her phone or tablet to check on the range of colors and contrast. She swears by that. Maybe you could try that.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Not to muddy the waters but I was wondering if you went even lighter than the pink, for example, maybe a white tone on tone or something like that, if it would make more of a pleasing contrast. Or maybe a light green tone on tone.
It's a little tricky because our screens are not always true to color. A friend of mine takes black and white photos with her phone or tablet to check on the range of colors and contrast. She swears by that. Maybe you could try that.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Two things come to mind: by replacing the circle/dots fabric, you are losing the light value contrast, and you are also losing contrast of pattern/scale.

So, if you want to replace the circle/dots fabric in order to get a third color in there you might go through your stash and look for very light valued fabrics in colors other than the greens and reds that you've already got in there.

On the other hand, you could keep the circle/dots light valued fabric and replace the pink flowered fabric strips that are currently beside it with the orange flowered fabric (which gets you the third color and is similar in scale, value and type of print to the pink flowered fabric that would be replaced). Or, instead of the orange flowered fabric, look for another medium valued fabric in your stash that is a different color, or different type of pattern, or maybe a solid.

Rob
Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Sorry for the double posts. We are having internet problems. No office for the company in this state so we can't seem to get much help.