Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please on quilt group dues. >

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:15 PM

The guild I belong to charges $35.00 per year, we meet once a month for regular meetings. There are many other opportunities to meet for guild with sit and sews, charity quilts, habitat for humanity quilts, quilts of valor, baby quilts for women's shelters, and many more. We have nationally known teachers like Kaye England, Bonnie Hunter, Ricky Tims and many more who come about 4 times a year. We have a quilt show every other year displaying hundreds of quilts made by our members. Our quilt that we are selling raffle tickets for has been appraised at over $6500.00. It will be at the Paducah show this year. Our members range from beginners to extremely talented. We take 2 or 3 (1 day) bus trips per year that cost 35.00 for admission to the show and bus fare. We have about 300 members some of which basically attend meetings and many who donate many hours to the guild. Everyone is welcome. I hope you find a welcoming guild with wonderful members.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 PM

I belong to a handquilting group that meets weekly. they are teaching me to handquilt. there are no fees. there is a machine and fabric, free for use by anyone anytime. we quilt for others at very reasonable rates, and members are discounted to half price. we bring our own food, etc. the first time I went they provided me with needle thread and thimble. it's a small group of really nice people. we made and quilted an amish style quilt to raffle off. the proceeds pay for the use of the church, and any extra goes to charity. I am not of the same religion, do ok work, and keep my political views to myself so I have been rec'd warmly and I feel so comfortable and accepted in this group. I hope you can find a similar situation near you!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 PM

wow - there is no way i would pay $12 a week. i am fortunate to belong to a sewing "group" that managed to get a building for our use and we are responsible for the utilities. our leader - the one who started it - figured out the fairest way for us to be able to pay the utilities was to charge a small amount per visit. so if you go out only once a month during the regular meeting you pay $2. if you want to go out more than that you pay $2 every time you go out. so far we are able to make the utility payments as well as have people come in and demonstrate from local quilt shops. i belonged to a larger guild at one time and got really fed up with paying yearly dues but when they had workshops it was limited to a certain amount (which i fully understand) and usually held during the week when those of us that work usually could not attend. the killer was the guild would pay half the cost of these workshops for the select few that attended. the same ones were always attending. i don't think that they should give "discounts" unless everyone got one!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 PM

I quilt at a local quilt shop on Wednesday's with a large group of ladies. We don't pay a regular fee, but we do shop while we are there. I am pretty sure that we spend more than it costs her for the lights, etc. that would already be on. If I had to pay to sit and quilt and help with some of her customers, I would probably stay home. I thought about joining a guild in our area when they expanded from a nearby town, but they were pretty unfriendly. I don't think they really wanted new members as much as they said they did. Went several times and even signed up for a couple of smaller groups, but never heard from them and not even one of them even took the time to say hello or welcome. I am much happier with my group of friends at the local quilt shop - we have a great time and I would say we are all best friends to each other.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 AM

I would think that there is a business meeting with the expenses and where that money went last year in printed form. With that much money flying around, there must be (good) records.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Everyone is talking about checking at the next meeting. Is there someone you can call ahead of time with your questions? That would save the $12.00 if you don't like the answers. I'm hoping it's a misunderstanding that you and they will be able to laugh about in years to come. If not, you need to decide what's more important -- the fees or the companionship. I wish you well when making your decision. Joyce in DE
Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM

I haven't been approached yet for dues.....it was just something I thought of to ask. Hopefully, Joyce is correct and we more "mature" ladies heard or spoke wrong....my dear husband and I do that almost on a daily basis. ;-)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Please post again when you find out for sure. I am hoping this was a mispeak or misheard number!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Will do Prism.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 PM

to be honest i wouldn't join at that cost. Seems way too high to me. i would rather spend that a month on fabrics