Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on Sewing Machines >

Opinions on Sewing Machines

Opinions on Sewing Machines

Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Good Evening,
I'm looking for a new sewing machine and would like anyone's opinions pro and con on the following:

Janome Memory Craft 6600 Professional
Brother Quatro 6000D
Viking Diamond or Ruby
Viking Sapphie 875

I really want the larger throat area and electronic self adjusting thread tension. I would love a combo sewing/embriodery machine but not sure I can afford it. I live in a rural area and will have to travel to having an repairs, etc. done to anything I buy.

Thanks for any and all opinions.
Jennifer
Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM

I have a Brother 4500D, which is the one below the 6000....and I love it. If you can afford it - GO FOR IT

robin
Old 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Goatmom
Good Evening,
I'm looking for a new sewing machine and would like anyone's opinions pro and con on the following:

Janome Memory Craft 6600 Professional
Brother Quatro 6000D
Viking Diamond or Ruby
Viking Sapphie 875

I really want the larger throat area and electronic self adjusting thread tension. I would love a combo sewing/embriodery machine but not sure I can afford it. I live in a rural area and will have to travel to having an repairs, etc. done to anything I buy.

Thanks for any and all opinions.
Jennifer
I have a Janome 6600P and love it. There are only two things I don't like: 1. the needle threader (LOVE the one on my Brother ULT) and 2. The thread often comes out of the take-up lever. It doesn't come out as often now, but at first it was really a pain.

Other than that, it sews wonderfully and I do like the extra harp space.

Nita in MI
Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 PM
klc

I just got a Janome Horizon 7700. I love the large throat area and all the bells and whistles. I too wanted a combo machine, but after looking decided on a sewing only and I plan to later get an embroidery only machine. I'm looking at the Janome 350e.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM

I love my Ruby. It took awhile to get used to a couple things, my old machine was 15 years old. Try a couple out and see which one fits you. Congratulations on the new machine.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Me personally I would get the brother, don't have one but have seen them in action, the quatro is top notch, my ultimate dream machine but comes with a hefty price which is why its a dream
Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 PM

I love my Janome 6600P. I don't like the needle threader. Everything else is great. Did I say I love it? :)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:43 PM

If you are looking at the Brother 6000, check out the Babylock Ellisimo. They are basically the same except the Brother has Disney and the Ellisimo has Nancy Zieman designs. I can vouch that the Ellisimo is the easiest machine to get acquainted with I've ever used - including my previously beloved Janome! Don't forget that the dealer is an important factor too!

Also do you want or need the embroidery function? If yes, you have narrowed your choice.

Is there a possibility of trying several machines either at a quilt show or several shops located within reason? All the machines you listed have things going for them and it will probably boil down to which you feel more comfortable with.

Good luck - and sorry I ranted on so!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM

I have the Janome MC6300...which, in my opinion, is much like the 6600. I love it and would stand by any Janome. I've never had problems with them. It's a workhorse and durable as all get-out.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Thanks everyone.