Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions/Thoughts re: Swaps and Robins? >

Opinions/Thoughts re: Swaps and Robins?

Opinions/Thoughts re: Swaps and Robins?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I can only answer with reference to the Row Round Robin I participated in with my quilt guild. Each of us was given a number, chose a theme and made a row. We put our completed row in a brown paper bag with any specific instructions or extra fabric from our row for others to use
for continuity. Each month (at guild meeting) we passed our bags to the next number in sequence til it came back to the owner. The only big "rule" was you couldn't show anyone the quilt-in-progress to anyone. You had to wait til the end at show and tell.
One lady did an applique cat row. Someone else did a red hat theme. Mine was a Maryland theme...crabs, sunflowers, ocean waves. Everyone got their quilt back and seemed delighted. One lady who wanted to play but didn't feel like she could commit offered to act as "design consultant" for participants who needed some help coming up with ideas. She was the only one who was allowed a preview peek.
Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by Mad Mimm
I am considering trying a swap or Row/Round Robin and have never done one before. I was curious what experience my fellow quilters have had with these? Good/Bad, were you happy with the experience, what did you learn? Also, any advice for a newbie who is nervous about "taking the plunge?" Thanks in advance! :-)
How do round robins/row robins work? froggyintexas
Thanks. froggyintexas
Old 10-22-2011, 03:42 PM

My round robin was lots of fun. We met in a quilt shop so we had plenty of room and quite a few participants. Each round involved a new technique, so I got a chance to learn new techniques.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:23 PM

I have done a row robin with three good friends who also quilt. That quilt is very special to me and does bring great memories of my friendships back when I look at it. We did it over about 8 months I think and we kept a journal of our thoughts and what we decided to do etc and why so that had special meaning also and is fun to read back on. I recommend you set yourself some goal to achieve. If it is new colour ways to work with it is a good exercise for that. If you want it to be more personal then do it with people you want to remember. I like the idea of a doll quilt swap that someone mentioned. Achievable in size and easy to post. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 PM

SheriR Thanks! I appreciate the info. I've not had courage to try a swap and you gave me lots to consider. Maybe that'll be my 2012 goal to do one swap.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:31 PM

I have joined a fat quarter swap. I do not have a LQS (to my knowledge) near me, After reading all 5 pages of this thread, I am beginnig to thank I should pull out because the fat Q I get will be consider cheap. Would Joann's fat Q be Ok and not consider cheap?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by trrmite
I have joined a fat quarter swap. I do not have a LQS (to my knowledge) near me, After reading all 5 pages of this thread, I am beginnig to thank I should pull out because the fat Q I get will be consider cheap. Would Joann's fat Q be Ok and not consider cheap?
I don't think it's fair for you to pull out of doing something fun because you don't live by a fancy quilt store. Your post makes me sad. I've used fabric from Nice shops and JoAnn's AND OHMYGOSH (whispers) .... WalMart..... You stay in your swap!!!!! I bet it's rules don't require you to shop somewhere specific or spend a certain amount per yard. I bet it says 100% cotton. If the ladies who join the swaps only expect Moda or one of the other name brand fabrics they should only join a swap that's specific to a brand! I'm sure what you've picked is pretty. What I've read most on this board is there are no police.....
Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 PM

I have participated in two swaps. One being the One Block/Month Swap where I corresponded with some lovely ladies from the U.S. and other countries and was very happy with the commitment and quality of the blocks I received.

The other was a Signature block swap with 174 participants and I was very happy with the organisation and result.

In both cases the quality of fabric and level of experience varied but you are aware of this before joining as these swaps were open to "all levels" so it is your decision whether go ahead and become involved.

I do think people need to read the WHOLE THREAD AND INSTRUCTIONS before committing themselves so they are confident that they can fulfil the criteria for the swap.

Having made the decision to join, jump in with a good attitude and enjoy making some new friends and have fun.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 PM

I have only been in one siggie swap, original deadline was June - thought I'd have a fun summer project - deadline kept being extended so I finally received blocks 3 days before I had to return to school. I love the blocks I received but they are all still in the baggie.

I have seen a few other swaps I wanted to join but machine embroidered blocks were accepted and I wouldn't want any of those.

Swaps are fun but read rules and be open to change.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 AM

I think most of us buy fabric at Joanns and Walmart.. they do carry quality material, you just have to pay attention to the feel and weave. I bought some clearance fabric at a quilt shop and did not check it ( it's from a quilt shop so it has to be good? right ??)) it was very thin and you could see through it.. So just check the fabric and you will be just fine. :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I think I would feel this way too after reading the tread but unless the swap states it needs to be a certain manufacture I would not worry about it being from Walmart or Joann's. I think what people are most concerned about is that it is 100% cotton and not thin cheese cloth and will fall apart. So just besure to finger what you are buying, no matter where you are buying it. Ofcourse if it says LQS in the swap rules you might want to contact the host and see what he/she thinks.