Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opportunity Question? >

Opportunity Question?

Opportunity Question?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Windwalker
Thank you so much for your input. While I didnt want to pass on a really good deal, I didnt want to waste our money. Anyway how many machines can I use at one time. Looks like DH will have to keep thinking on a gift for me this year.
Yeah, like an embroidery machine.....hee hee hee!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 PM

I have a very basic Brother serger. If you do other sewing than quilting, GET IT! if it's under varranty. These things are expensive new. For Quilting I use mine to finish edges before binding; before washing new fabric; join backing pieces; to finish edges in small, not-so-fancy utility items like potholders, bookmarks, kitchen towels and place mats. Otherwise for garments, curtains, for anything with long seams, anything stretchy. T-shirts take no time at all to make, knits.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 AM

I have a Babylock serger but do not use it very often because I use my Bernina 730 all the time. However, that said, I recently took a class in using the serger to make a log cabing quilt. The quilt turned out just beautifully! The seams were so nicely finished and laid so flat that it was a joy to press and later to quilt. I would not try to piece lots of little pieces or triangles with a serger, but for strips or rectangles it is wonderful! You chain piece just like you'd do on a sewing machine, but lots faster. Think what you could do with jelly rolls and strip quilts...you could probably crank them out in a day with a serger. I'll bet there are books on this.

IMHO, the biggest reason that people don't use their sergers is that they have trouble threading them. Take a class or two at your LQS so you get comfortable threading the serger. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the information on Dresden plate.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 AM

Okay, my two cents on the subject.
I have 5 different machines - 3 are set up and ready to go all the time. My Pfaff Expressions 2.0 is constantly used, My Bernina Deco embroidery machie and then my next favorite machine is my 20+ year old Singer Serger. This is my busy time of year as My DH & I do lots of craft shows and I find My serger is indespensible. Yes, I use it on the many clothing items I make but I also use it on all of the quilts I make, such as baby receiving blankets to edge them, log cabin style quilts using the "quilt as you go" technique, strip piecing quilts once again using the "quilt as you go" and for trimming up the edges of all my big or small quilts before I put on the binding. It makes all my pieces look all that much better. I would definitely take a few days and really play with the serger - it's a blessing when it comes to ruffles, too! As many before me have said it all depends on what you like to make and create. My two other machines - Janome for traveling to workshops/retreats/classes and an old BelAir for heavy canvas and denim work.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM

I love my serger! You probably wouldn't use it as much as a regular sewing machine, I dont use it ALL the time, Like now I have been using it to make pillowcase for my DGD's to sell to make money for a mission trip. It is good to have once you get use to using it.(It finishes the seams like on a sweatshirt.)
Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Windwalker
I have the opportunity to purchase a Janome Serger 204D machine for $200.00. A friend I've known for over 40 years received it last Christmas from her husband. She told me she just hasn't been able to bond with it and wants to sell it. It is still in the box. She has offered to let me take it home and use it to see if I like it before purchasing.

Now my DH is willing to get if for me for Christmas if I want it. The problem is I don't know enough about quilting to know if I might need this machine. I am working on my first quilt top, I've just had so many family issues that I haven't had time to do any sewing.

I have Singer sewing machines now that I am using. And whenever I do get my quilt tops finished I want to machine quilt them myself.

So for those of you who have the knowledge, should I seriously consider this machine? If my life slows down enough for me to get serious about quilting like I hope, would I use it? (In case you cant' tell, I'm not even sure what a serger is used for.)

Your thoughts and suggestions please.
I do not use my (overlocker) serger when I am quilting but do use it for finishing off cushion covers and clothing. If you are not doing those thing, do not get it. Saying that, you can do a lot of different things, hems, fancy stitches, It would be good to see what DVD's are out there showing you how to use it properly.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:26 AM

I have a serger that I purchased 25 years ago and it must have a million miles on it. I don't, however, use it for quilting except for serging ends of material before prewashing. I do use it for table cloths, curtains, clothing, etc. I wouldn't be without it. It also is great for doing a small rolled hem for napkins, ruffles, etc.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:32 AM

I have been sewing for almost 50 years and do not have one and have never used one.