Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ordering my first quilt kit >

Ordering my first quilt kit

Ordering my first quilt kit

Old 07-17-2015, 05:34 AM

Default Ordering my first quilt kit

Hi everyone
I am looking at ordering a quilt kit and just wondering is the fabric all ready cut ?
And if not the fabric they send you is it right on the money as far as amount ? I,m just nervous that i,ll run out if i have to cut it as i,m not really the best cutter lol.

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-17-2015, 05:45 AM

You'll want to read the information about the kit you are ordering. Many times the kits come with yardage, not pre-cut shapes. There are some quilt kits that have the shapes already cut out, but I don't see that terribly often. That's how I first learned. I worked on a JoAnn Block-of-the-Month kit, where the exact shapes are laser cut.

Working with a rotary cutter is definitely a learned skill. Some kits come with a little extra yardage. You'd just have to ask the place where you're ordering it if that's the case. Either way, though, many times you can order extra of a particular included fabric if you make a boo-boo and cut a shape the wrong way.

Good luck & have fun!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I have never bought a kit before but I don't think it is precut for you. Usually the BOM kits that I have seen online are precut. Either send an email or give the seller a call and ask them.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:49 AM

I haven't purchased many kits but my experience has been that you get yardage. I haven't put any of them together so don't know if they give extra fabric.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:00 AM

Kits for pieced kits usually give yardage, and you cut your pieces. I have found that the kit makers are generous with the fabric, and I always have fabric left over, but I am (or try to be) a precision cutter. I usually measure 3 times (not twice) before cutting. Many kits now are taking advantage of precuts (jelly rolls, layer cakes, etc.), so there is less cutting. You just have to read the descriptions carefully.

Applique kits are being marketed in two ways - needleturn and fusible. The needleturn kits have swatches of fabric which you use with your preferred applique method (freezer paper, template & starch, back basting, etc.). Most of the fusible kits are laser cut with the fusible already applied.

If you have any questions, contact the seller before making the purchase.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Most kits are not pre-cut, and some are much more generous than others. I have heard that the kits from Connecting Threads are exceptionally generous. On the other hand I've received a BOM from a local quilt store that was very stingy. Of course it was almost a freebie, so I'm not complaining. I haven't ordered any kits, but the only ones I've seen that contained laser cut shapes made a big deal of it in their ad, because you typically pay more for that.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 AM

I bought my 1st kit from Connecting Threads, read what came with it so I knew what I might need to add to it to finish it. I find they give more than enough as with their Sprinkles Kit. Came with 36 fat quarters and 5.5 yd background, .75 striped fabric for the binding. I was able to resize the kit and make 2 with plenty leftover from the fat quarters. I added some for the background and binding fabric just to be safe. But I was very surprised they gave so much of the 36 fat quarters. Even used some of the leftovers for another baby quilt and still have some leftover yet.

I'm sure not all companies are that generous but was greatly surprised from this one. Bought a kit from my local fabric store but haven't checked to see how generous they are. They're instructions were incorrect though so rewrote them.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I buy kits. Have a shelf full of them. So far all have been generous in the amount of fabric to cut. I usually pull a piece from the kit to use in another quit and the rest goes in my stash . I'm not particular about keeping the kit contained just for the pattern .
Old 07-17-2015, 08:19 AM

Thanks every one .
I,m really looking forward to trying this kit .
Now if I can get my machine quilting better i,d be so happy.
Tom
Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 AM

Make sure the pattern comes with the kit. That has been something friends have found lately. The pattern is sold separately. Also hardly any kits come with backing but usually do include fabric for binding! I make most of my own "kits" from my stash because I love to select my own fabrics.