Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Organizing patterns from magazines

I had this "problem" when we started packing to move after living in the same house for 21 years. Decided to get rid of the magazines (some dating to before we moved into the house). Went thru, cut out what I wanted; stored in notebooks with plastic inserts. Now I REGRET IT. I miss my magazines. I LOVED looking thru them from time to time. Never again. Someone will just have to throw what I have away when I croak unless want to keep them.

I agree with this -- knitting patterns as well as quilt patterns. My taste has changed and I am glad I have kept whole magazines. I am also now much more experienced and have thrown out a lot of the really simple ones that I liked in the beginning. I hope you find a way to keep all of them.
    No matter what I keep it takes up less space than the boat and the upkeep is certainly less.

100 magazines is not a huge amount. Could you keep some of the latest at your place and store some of the others at your parent's house. I wouldn't want to mess up my magazines - tastes change as well as ability and you might want to relook at the magazines later. You don't sound like you really want to get rid of them and scanning can distort. I'd keep them somehow, but then, I am stubborn. Ask my husband.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    Hmmmm, husband demanding, no flippin way! ........
    Ditto! LMBO

You may have to ask for a filing cabinet and put them in folders.

That is exactly what I do as well.

Why would someone tell someone else to get rid of something that they want I don't understand

I'd seriously think about getting rid of the husband first.

I'd seriously think about getting rid of the husband first.

Blog Entries
    I'll second that! He knows I would go straight to the garage and his tools. LOL

The cardboard magazine holders are also available through www.currentcatalog.com. I have also thought about having files made with different categories for quilt top patterns.

I make copies and file them under quilts and then take the magazines to the quilting ladies or put them in a garage sale.

Guess I forgot to say the favorite patterns I want to keep I copy.
    Ann

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dforesee
    I don't take out the patterns I like and discard the magazine because I have learned over time that patterns I don't like today will be just what I want one day down the road. But I have found a space saving solution to store the largest # of magazines in the smallest amount of space that works better than any I have tried. I file the magazines alphabetically by title in hanging file folders (several mags to one folder) or cardboard magazine holders in a tall 4 drawer filing cabinet. On top of the cabinet I have a long file box for 3x5" cards in which I have set up a card catalog system. I have the name of a quilt pattern on the top line of the card, then below a listing of each magazine and page # that pattern can be found in. This took a while to set up a few years ago (going through all of the mags and filling in the cards), but it was fun and well worth it. Now I can find anything, and friends ask me for a pattern they need quickly instead of hunting through their magazines to find it. If I just want to browse mags for fun, I can take out a box or folder at a time and swap out for another one when I'm finished.
    Wow!! would you like to come to my house and organize my 3 ring notebooks and magazines. Sounds like you have a great system there. Were you or are you a librarian? I just have patterns and printouts in plastic sleeves in 3 ring binders.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty1mom
    I have big 3 ring notebooks that I label with the magazine name. I put the patterns and templates, etc in those clear plastic sleeves and put into that magazines notebook. Sometimes if the mag. has a lot of patterns I want to keep, I stuff the whole magazine into the sleeve.
    That what I do too!

Blog Entries
    I would NOT part with any magazines or books about quilting....what I want today may NOT be what I want tomorrow....I have a ton of both and have them on book shelves along one side of my "work" room....I also use the pos-it-notes to mark the patterns I want to try..trouble is, I have way TOO many marked to do..........

Blog Entries
    I keep the patterns I think I might want in plastic sleeves in three ring binders, and the templates go in to the plastic sleeves too. Because space is your issue, Jennifer, you might want to scan the patterns and keep the templates in plastic sleeves in a binder (or in file folders in a filing cabinet.) Sounds like your solution, after this issue is solved, is to get your magazines as an e-mag - no space-eating problem and you can print out pattern and templates as you want them.

I use gallon zip lock bags and cut out templates, pics of quilt and the date. month and name of magazines.

Then I three hole punch and put in notebooks or files. Notebooks are easier to look through for inspiration and next project.

Good luck

My mother (creatively) used cereal boxes cut to magazine holders. Sometimes she decorated them with gift wrap but quite often I'd see the nutrition info of the cereal on the spine.
    To tame my magazine collection I remove the pattern from the magazine and staple/punch each one; then I use a 3 ring binder. The organization part is primitive but I just put my "favorite" or next project(s) at the front of the notebook - that way they're readily available.
    Sometimes I just page through the binder like I would enjoy a magazine, only this time the pics/patterns are already in the "like" category.

How about scanning the spec things you want onto your computer using an external disc reserved just for that?

I have many notebooks with the magazines in them. I found it easy to organize the magazines and to look through them. They were also preserved very nicely. You could do the same with the patterns you remove from the magazines. Just organize by type of pattern and keep it in the plastic sleeve. Sorry you have to get rid of your magazines. Even old magazines are great in quilting information and designs.

I use a file cabinet with hanging folders too. you can get full year in one folder and file by magazine title. If I have marked a pattern using the sticky note tabs I put that up so know pattern I am interested in. this take a lot less space that bookshelf and I keep almost all my magazine due to different interests at different times.

Blog Entries
    Two other quick thoughts. As we mature in our quilting abilities, what we will make changes, too. So something you may not think you can do now, after 5-10 years, you may want to make that quilt pattern. One more thought and I'll get off here. You might point out to your husband how much it would cost to replace even one or two of your magazines and how they are increasing in price every year.

I put mine into notebooks with plastic inserts. I put one quilt pic and instructions..one on each side of see through sleeve. It works quit well. Then I mark the photo, etc. that templates are in back of bookand put the templates in the rear or cut them out and include them with pattern.

I use the plastic magazine holders, they are thiner than the cardboard. I put a thin strip stickie note in the top of the magazine for all the patterns I want to remember. I have 10 in a 32" space and you can get at least 25 magazine in each one. I also have my cross-stitch books organized in these.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast