Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing patterns from magazines >

Organizing patterns from magazines

Organizing patterns from magazines

Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM

100 quilt magazines really don't take up that much space. Ask me how I know. :-) Seriously, you can get one of the Long Under bed Storage boxes and that should hold all 100 of them, with room left over. That way, they'd be out of the way and you could still keep them. If you do take pages out and wanted to get rid of them, you can take them to the library and they love to get them even if they aren't complete.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 PM

I am in the process of down-sizing and had way too many magazines. I took out of the magazines those patterns that I wanted to keep and have stored them in a hanging file in separate folders, organizing by pattern type such as baskets, nine patch, applique, etc. It is so easy to find what I am looking for now. I know I will never live long enough to use all of them, but now I am not wasting time looking for a particular pattern.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Wow, I wasn't expecting this topic to explode!! I will be binders and clear protectors and scanning them/making copies! I think when i scan them I will be saving them on a cd as well, to cut down on the clutter just a bit! Thank you all for the suggestions!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM

I subscribe to at least 8 quilting magazines...love to read. Any way I bought the magazine holders for mine and keep them in there. Most hold more than 2 years of subscriptions and many share more than one magazine.

I could not bare having to cut up my magazines or throwing them away. :cry:
Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM

I cut out the patterns I want and put them in those plastic sleeves for binders. Each sleeve has the pages for one pattern. I then put them in a binder (it's a big one now!). Very easy to refer to and keeps them altogether.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:54 PM

I tell my hubs I will get rid of him first. I am not going to get rid of my stuff, no way!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 PM

I would scan them and save them on your hard drive. You should be able to save them as a pdf file.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:34 PM

I don't buy them anymore either. I have more patterns than I'll ever get made and the books are too expensive to throw away. I bought 5" note book binders and the plastic book holders from Keepsake Quilting and each binder will hold about 20 or more books. I made a list in the front of each binder and listed the patterns I wanted to make and the name and date of the book they were in so I could find them without going through each book. I would have to live to be 100 and quilt 24 hours a day to make what I have marked.
Wishful thinking.

Maybe hubby will help you organize and keep the books.

Sassy granny
Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 PM

I do tear out patterns that I like and think I might actually make. I put them in plastic sleeve protectors and put in binders. I don't use anything bigger than a 1-1/2 inch binder because they can get very heavy if they are larger than that.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM

I also tear out patterns and articles I think I'll want to refer to in the future. I have a binder for quilt patterns, one for clothing consutruction techniques, one for fabric crafts, and one for general sewing information (like informtion on needle sizes, types of stabilizers, comparison of battings, merits of different kinds of fabrics, etc.). Works for me