Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Orphan blocks ????????? >

Orphan blocks ?????????

Orphan blocks ?????????

Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM

My friend got those cheap grocery store bags that are not fabric but not paper or plastic either. I don't know what the fabric is called. She sewed her orphan blocks to the bags and made quite lovely tote bags. I am saving my orphan blocks to make these for next Christmas for bags for my friends and sewing group.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Default Orphan quilts

Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
Here is a great blog about how to make orphan quilts.
http://orphantrainsfromfinn.blogspot.com/
This is a really cool link...

Last edited by NUBQ; 02-18-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 AM

I am not sure about where you live. I am near Cincinnati OH. Our local Salvation Army has hooked up with Toys for Tots. Each little girl gets a doll ( like an American Girl doll) for Christmas. Each doll comes with 2 outfits and a quilt. My guild takes orphan blocks and makes them in to doll quilt for the girls. We donated 75 last year. Great way to use up blocks and a nice cause. Ours wants the quilts a minimum of 20 x20.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:52 PM

A number of years ago the guild I was in at the time collected orphan blocks. I assembled them into quilt tops (I made 45 tops). I would hang them on the design wall until I was happy with them, add sashing where needed, put some on point using triangles to square them up, also arranging some so they were adjacent. Great fun. In some ways they were like the block of the month quilts or sampler quilts. Our standard size was (roughly) 45x60 so I also put borders on some to make the correct size. It was great fun to see all the different blocks and how to get them to fit together.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
A number of years ago the guild I was in at the time collected orphan blocks. I assembled them into quilt tops (I made 45 tops). I would hang them on the design wall until I was happy with them, add sashing where needed, put some on point using triangles to square them up, also arranging some so they were adjacent. Great fun. In some ways they were like the block of the month quilts or sampler quilts. Our standard size was (roughly) 45x60 so I also put borders on some to make the correct size. It was great fun to see all the different blocks and how to get them to fit together.
I have done this too, and it really is fun to play with the blocks in this way. Kind of like a giant puzzle with large pieces. LOL I also love the idea of offering them here on the board for those of us who make comfort and other kinds of donation quilts. When we give our quilts away, it's always nice to have something come in to help us out! For me anyway, that is the case. Guess I shouldn't speak for others. LOL
Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 PM

At this point I am just saving them up. I really don't have that many.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
This is an adorable layout idea for orphans http://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...=78&ajaxhist=0
I want orphan blocks just so I can make this! That is adorable (ETA, the ones with the birds on the clothesline, the second time I clicked the link it went to a different one. Direct photo link: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e2fce73efd.jpg )

I've just started making double sided receiving blankets and quilts for an NICU where my son spent his first two weeks. Someday, when I have orphan blocks, they too will become part of a donation quilt.

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 02-20-2017 at 10:40 PM.