Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Osnaburg fabric >

Osnaburg fabric

Osnaburg fabric

Old 04-03-2018, 06:38 AM

yes I will be machine quilting. I don't know that is a really loose weave. It may not be as tightly woven as some, but it seems to be similar to the homespun fabric that I have used in the past
Old 04-03-2018, 03:55 PM

Dharma website says it has a soft hand after washing. But...it also says "this shrinks 8% in Length and 3% in Width", so this is one I would prewash.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:06 PM

I bought some on Amazon a few months ago to use in an embroidery project. It's much too coarse for a quilt, imo, and it wrinkles like crazy. It was fine for an embroidery design that was framed. It closely resembles burlap, but is a finer weave than that. I assume there are different weights and stitch counts, and perhaps there are some that would be more suitable for a quilt. I had a lot left over, and decided to make dishtowels, since some vintage dishtowels are made of it. That was how I found out about wrinkling. I don't like the idea of having to iron dishtowels. The picture shows what they look like coming out of the dryer and after ironing. This is unbleached, and perhaps the bleached version is much softer.
Attached Thumbnails osnaburg_towels.jpg  
Old 04-04-2018, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I bought some on Amazon a few months ago to use in an embroidery project. It's much too coarse for a quilt, imo, and it wrinkles like crazy. It was fine for an embroidery design that was framed. It closely resembles burlap, but is a finer weave than that. I assume there are different weights and stitch counts, and perhaps there are some that would be more suitable for a quilt. I had a lot left over, and decided to make dishtowels, since some vintage dishtowels are made of it. That was how I found out about wrinkling. I don't like the idea of having to iron dishtowels. The picture shows what they look like coming out of the dryer and after ironing. This is unbleached, and perhaps the bleached version is much softer.
yes - that looks like exactly what I have Thank you for your reply

I did prewash, but I didn't consider wrinkling ..... hhmmmmm My main concern is that it doesn't fall apart ha ha ha

your embroidery looks great on those... but I know what you mean about ironing
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 AM

Could unbleached muslin give the same look? The weave would be tighter and probably more durable. Buy enough of each to make a potholder or something small...wash, use, repeat...how do they both react to use? Then you can make a good decision without a huge investment.