Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Other mystery quilts Besides Bonnie Hunter

Other mystery quilts Besides Bonnie Hunter

I was going to do Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, but decided not to. Now I have a hole in my life ;-).

Does anyone know about other mystery quilts out there right now that are really interesting? Preferably free ;-).

Thanks for ideas.
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

i Think Laundry Basket quilts has one.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-26-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
    i Think Laundry Basket quilts has one.
    Do you know where it might be? I checked her web site and didn't find it.

Teresa, check out Edyta's blog. What she is doing is a quilt-along from her Patches of Blue book. You need her book and subscribe to the newsletter.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

I see a lot on Facebook. There are a lot of sew a longs. Pat Sloan, Fat Quarter Shop, and other groups. Bonnie Hunter quilts all look the same with different colors to me. One scrappy big quilt is enough to last me for a long time.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Here are some free mysteries:

https://murdermysteryquilt.com/

https://blog.patsloan.com/2018/11/20...-the-fun-.html
    https://www.merrymayhem.com/index.html

and then there a quilt alongs. And shops that have mysteries.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I'm starting to understand why the Bonnie Hunter mystery is so popular. It's one of the few free ones ;-).

Thanks for the replies so far.
    Last edited by TeresaA; 11-26-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I see a lot on Facebook. There are a lot of sew a longs. Pat Sloan, Fat Quarter Shop, and other groups. Bonnie Hunter quilts all look the same with different colors to me. One scrappy big quilt is enough to last me for a long time.
    I hadn't done any of the Bonnie Hunter mysteries, and figured this was my big year! But I'm not feeling it this year either ;-).

Thank you for the ideas. I was on the Moda Blockheads for awhile, but they're a quilt along. I really wanted to do a mystery. I think Pat and FQS both are quiltalongs too.

I don't do them scrappy, and don't always follow her layout. I think mine look different from each other and definitely different then all the other BH quilts that year. I do agree they all have a similar look/feel though.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    I don't do them scrappy, and don't always follow her layout. I think mine look different from each other and definitely different then all the other BH quilts that year. I do agree they all have a similar look/feel though.
    I saw 6 yards of background fabric, and said "hard pass". I don't want to waste that much of my precious backgrounds on seams, which I'm assuming is the reason why it calls for so much fabric. Of course, if done non-scrappy, it wouldn't take so much. I'm always curious to see how her mysteries turn out, and who knows, maybe I'd make a non-scrappy version after collecting all the steps.

I'm too stressed of a person for her quilts, anyway, ha-ha. And it's apparently all my fault, from what I hear, LOL.

But good old fashioned, interesting mysteries are few and far between these days, it seems. I know people need to make a living, so I can't get too upset with them for charging in some way. It's hard to pay for something, if I don't know what it's going to end up being. Maybe I should try Edyta.

It really is hard to find a free mystery. I am used to using small pieces there is no way around the extra yardage needed when using small pieces. I have fun w/ it and make it my own so the extra expense of the fabric amount doesn't bother me enough to quit doing it. I figure it is one quilt a year so if you average it out it really doesn't cost that much for the whole year.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
    I saw 6 yards of background fabric, and said "hard pass". I don't want to waste that much of my precious backgrounds on seams, which I'm assuming is the reason why it calls for so much fabric. Of course, if done non-scrappy, it wouldn't take so much. I'm always curious to see how her mysteries turn out, and who knows, maybe I'd make a non-scrappy version after collecting all the steps.

I'm too stressed of a person for her quilts, anyway, ha-ha. And it's apparently all my fault, from what I hear, LOL.

But good old fashioned, interesting mysteries are few and far between these days, it seems. I know people need to make a living, so I can't get too upset with them for charging in some way. It's hard to pay for something, if I don't know what it's going to end up being. Maybe I should try Edyta.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Charlotte Hawkes just announced a new mystery quilt that starts on January 8th and is free. Here is the link to here website . I think you can sign up for e-mail notifications she does not post to often mainly just her mystery updates and clues. She does have a facebook page and you can see some of her past mysteries that people have posted pictures of. This mystery is called " A Handy Dandy Scrap Quilt" she released the precutting instructions. Quilt is 60 x 82 without border and with a border 80 x 97.

Charlotte Hawkes Quilts
    http://www.charlottehawkesquilts.com/

Facebook page: Making Scrappy Quilts with Charlotte
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/795322573884605/
    ​Christine

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40 View Post
    Charlotte Hawkes just announced a new mystery quilt that starts on January 8th and is free.
    Well that looks kind of fun. Thank you.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    There is another group on Facebook called Mystery Quilts Anonymous she does a lot of mystery quilts and can choose what size she gives options and they are free. She leaves them all on there in the files so you can take a look at her past ones and she has a couple coming up.
    ​Christine

Eleanor Burns has a mystery quilt ongoing now called "Fun on the Farm" the block directions are free or you can buy a kit. It started in August but the blocks are pretty quick and easy. A new one is posted each month and there have been several bonus ones.
    Here is a link to the Fun on the Farm pattern website and a link to the quilt along here on the QB. There is also a Facebook page as well. The FB page has over 8000 members.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...s-t298654.html

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...CQy2LqEgZrC1g8

Homespun Hearth has a New Year's Day Mystery which is free.

http://www.homespunhearth.com/detail...New-Years-2019
    granna of 5

Blog Entries
    Quilt Doodle Designs will be starting a free mystery block of the month in January. https://quiltdoodledesigns.blogspot.com
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

And don't forget to keep an eye out for QB's own PaintmeJudy. Her mysteries are fun.

Blog Entries
    Pat Sloan is going to start one.

This is the link for the Facebook Group Mystery Quilts Anonymous. https://www.facebook.com/groups/460909094374306/
    She does a lot and it is fun to follow along with all the other posters progress, although I haven't done one of hers yet.

I've done two of Judy's here on the QB and they are great with lots of camaraderie from the other posters. I think the next one starts in January?

I did the Merry Mayhem New Years' Day quilt last year and it was fun and turned out well.

Watson
    Last edited by Watson; 11-27-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Our guild is starting one in Jan. I can send you the clues once a month. It will be super easy knowing the person who is in charge of it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    frustrated 40 Thank you for the link to Charlotte Hawkins quilt. I love it. Going to challenge my friend who also loves scrappy quilts.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Our guild is starting one in Jan. I can send you the clues once a month. It will be super easy knowing the person who is in charge of it.
    That is a sweet offer. I might take you up on it!

I wish there like buttons here. I like all of the posts so far, even if I haven't responded directly to each!

These are always fun, not super involved, and not a huge fabric commitment...next one starts soon...

http://jendalyquilts.blogspot.com/20...Daly+Quilts%29

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast