Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
our fabric - what has been done to it and where has it been? >

our fabric - what has been done to it and where has it been?

our fabric - what has been done to it and where has it been?

Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM

good question, Dotty, though I doubt it had anything to do with manufacturing.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Some time ago I posted a link on here to a film that showed how Batiks were made - it was pulled by the moderator for some reason. Anyway, it showed little men in the water with the bolts of fabric - rinsing them, I think. The water was up to the bottom of the shorts of the men. Always wash your batiks!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I do wash everything that iis washable before cutting it - but that was not the purpose of the this post. I

Or check to see if it has been washed. I see no purpose in rewashing an item I boughtt at a garage sale if everything else there seems fairly clean

For the record, I do want something that I have purchased as "new" to at least look " new."

I really do wonder what all the processes are - and iif we did, would we be so squeanish about a little cat hair or a bit of sticky finger residue on " new" items.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:54 AM

you got that right ;-) the world is not clean.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
To my understanding from classes many years ago, fabric is made outside the USA because the wash off from the process is not monitored as tight as it is here. We don't pollute our grounds and waters as other countries are allowed to.
And eventually this does come around to bite us! Ocean currents and air currents eventually distrubute slmost everything.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 AM

I can comment specifically on Batiks... there is no way they can be produced here in the US. The processes is anything but environmentally friendly... and OSHA would have a field day with the issues on safety and hazardous working conditions. If you saw and smelled the environment you would never use a batik without washing.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 AM

Does anyone else remember going into a fabric store as a child and having your eyes water? I don't know what they used then or what they use now but thank goodness, that no longer happens.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM

If I could buy American made fabric, I would even if it costs more. Unfortunately, fabric companies can make more money by mfg overseas.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed all young children's eyes water or turn red in a fabric store. As you age you get more immune to the fumes. I would never take an infant to a fabric store that had aisles of all different type of fabrics. And seeing babies in strollers in clothing stores right up to eye level with the clothes racks makes me so upset. All new fabric has very strong chemical fumes. Most adults usually don't have any reaction from them and don't think about the infant. I know better then to say anything to the clueless parent though.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 AM

I know there's stuff in the fabric. I wash my hands after handling any that isn't prewashed.

eta: my kids all went to the fabric stores with me all the time when they were little. They even touched fabric. They never got red or watery eyes-even my sensitive child didn't. Now she sews and never has trouble even though most of what she sews with is not prewashed.

My kids went everywhere I went when they were babies. I didn't leave them with anyone but their dad. Don't assume I'm a clueless parent because of it.

Last edited by gale; 03-01-2014 at 10:10 AM.