Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
our modern quilting tools >

our modern quilting tools

our modern quilting tools

Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 AM

One of the best things I have for picking up thread, ( and some always gets on the carpet) is a roller that has a sticky roller and a long handle . You roll it around and pick up everything and then rinse it off with water. I think Dollar Tree has them for sale here.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
if you want to spend $12 on precut little rubber squares made for quilters, the peoples republic of china thanks you for supporting their manufacturing sector.

aileen
I have the pre cut little rubber square. I bought it at a quilt show after trying one out. It is not just a little rubber square you can cut from another item and real rubber is expensive. The vendor had several other types of 'grabbers' cut from store items to compare. It takes much less effort to use this square as it grips perfectly, it doesn't leave mark or bend my expensive hand sewing needles like a pair of pliers do. I would buy one again if if lost this one. And it's not made in China. My $12 is being appreciated right here in the US. (maybe that's why it is expensive)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Paula H View Post
I originally used bicycle clamps for FMQ but then discovered the resulting roll made it much more difficult to maneuver on my regular sewing machine. I now use the "fluff and stuff" method and it's much easier. Just finished a queen size on my regular machine.
Has anyone every tried using salt and/or pepper shakers to keep thread under control while keeping several spools active on a hand project. It works like a charm but you need to do the following:

1. Select containers that will FIT the thread spool and has a strong screwon top Don't spend a lot on expensive containers, go to the dollar store or check out your local grocery store.

2. Put a small square of adhesive backed velcro on each container to keep thread from dropping back into container when not in use.

I have found that some containers will not only hold the spool, but the snap on bobbin as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Thank you for telling me, I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
Take a look at the method of dividing your big quilts into 3 sections - you cut your batting into thirds, then insert the middle batt panel nto the quilt and quilt as desired. Then add the second panel on the side and quilt again, then add the third. There is a tute on it somewhere. Its a great method for handling big quilts without bulk and works well on machines with small harps.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM

I have all sorts of rulers and templates and seldom do I find a quilt pattern I like to use them with.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Mad Quilter - I had also heard somewhere recently that the "fluff & stuff" helps the quilt to lie more naturally by the needle where you are sewing without stress being applied to one or the other of the fabrics by rolling it.

And the quilt clips? Yup, I laughed my socks off when I first saw those being sold as a quilting specialty item - I used to use them in my hair - as well as "hem clips" in sewing, and have even used bobby pins to hold hems for stitching or to quickly hold two seams together when I don't want pin holes in my fabric.

While the new toys are fun - and I have some sitting right here beside me - I sometimes like to make it a mental game to see what could be substituted and get the same results with less cost. It's fun! :-) I read on this board all the things people have gotten from hardware stores - and I have a new love for hardware stores.

Marysewfun
Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM

When I made my very first quilt (back in the 80's) I used sandpaper under all my fabrics I was marking for cutting as the sandpaper kept the fabric from moving. I also cut little strips (1" long and aboout 1/4" wide) and glue to the bottom of my long rulers. It keeps them from moving when I rotary cut and making them so small they don't hide the lines on the rulers.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 AM

Default Bodkin for applique turning

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
Carries how do you you use zip ties for tube turning? i do a lot of applique and could use an easier method than a saftey pin!!!!
JNCT......have you ever tried using a bodkin for turning your applique...once you do you can't be without. Eleanor Burns explains how to use it with a straw in her "Applique In A Day". With a coupon at Joann's you can get one for about $2.50. Try it...you'll like it.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM

My mom didn't quilt but she did make most of our clothes when we were little. Money was tight so she would go to the department stores to look at little girl dresses. Then she would go home and draw out the patterns on newspaper. Our clothes always looked like she had bought them. My mom is talented and much loved.