Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
out of print fabric >

out of print fabric

out of print fabric

Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 PM

Default out of print fabric

Does anyone know if popular fabric collections are ever brought back into production? I discovered a few I'm in love with but, too late. They are out of production. For those of you doing this a long time, do you know if they respond to public demand? I am looking specifically for Moda Bonnie and Camille Ruby, and Bliss. So disappointed they are gone.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 PM

I don't think it happens often, but I did just see a collection that had been brought back by popular demand (though I cannot recall the name of it). I don't know how long ago the fabrics you mentioned went out of print, but if it's only a few years there is still a good chance you can find something. Depending on who is selling, you may pay more or less than you would if it was a current print. Etsy/eBay will likely be more, but sometimes you can find a small quilt shop that has a bit of stock left in their online store on sale or clearance because it's "old stock." It can take a lot of searching. A lot of the fabric I have bought recently has been out of print for awhile, some going back to 2008.

You might also try emailing the designer, if they indicate that they are open to contact. I had emailed one designer asking a question about their fabric and if they knew of any places where it still might be sold. They offered to sell me some from their own stash at a very reasonable price. Don't expect that kind of response, but it's also a possibility. Good luck on your quest!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:40 PM

I think they have newer lines that look a lot like Bliss.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 PM

If you can find Scrumptious it seems to be in the same style at Ruby and Bliss.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:24 AM

Bonnie & Camille's new line coming out next month, Miss Kate, is aqua & red & very like Ruby.

I just searched everywhere for Summer House & Wren's friends. You can usually still find some of the older fabrics, you just have to be willing to pay shipping to several places to cobble it together. Ebay & Etsy & deeper web searches can usually turn some up.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

They rarely do re-print any fabric designs. I was surprised when Benatex reprinted some of the reproductions from the 80s. That really surprised me. Do a search on eBay and save it so when a seller has that particular fabric for sale, eBay will send you a notice. Another suggestions is trying to do the fabric shop hop (fabshophop.com). There might just be a store that has a one or two year old fabric available. Good Luck !!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

I have learned - the hard way - that if I am truly "in love" with a print - that I should get all that I think I might need at the time I see it - and if there isn't enough at one shop - to go scouring the area to try to get what I need.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 AM

dgreen, I usually search at Etsy and eBay to see if someone is selling them there. A lot of folks will buy a line and then not use it and just sell it later. There is one set on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1937062...oda-fabrics-15

bearisgray, if I like something, I buy it. I learned the hard way also that whenever I go back to get something, it's never there. So, I have a "now or never" attitude. Can be dangerous on the wallet, but I don't regret it later.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 AM

I second the search on eBay and etsy, and keep at it--usually some turns up but likely won't be at bargain prices.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:16 PM

http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_ruby.pdf

Sometimes I've found things by locating the fabric on the manufacturer's website and using its specific code number in Google. You wouldn't think that would yield different results from just typing in the name of the line, but it can.

Hugs,
Charlotte