Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Over the door ironing board >

Over the door ironing board

Over the door ironing board

Old 11-26-2019, 11:15 AM

Default Over the door ironing board

I love to make quilt tops for our mission church group. I make many of the tops at home and take them to the church where we assemble and finish them. My daughter has suggested that I might want to put an over the door ironing board on my Christmas list. The frame fits over a door and the board then folds down and can be used for pressing tops and pieces during my assembly process. The reviews I have been able to find stress that one needs to close the door in order to hold the board firm during use. I was not aware of this and it made me think that it might not be useful to me if I had to close the door in order to use it. The location of the door would make this almost impossible. Does anyone out there have such a board and is it practical? I would appreciate hearing your comments.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

My laundry room has a cabinet built in the wall with a pull down ironing board. It's not full size but big enough. I love it. You can buy the wall mounted ones that will work for what you have in mind. The door mounted ones are a pain.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:08 PM

I used to have an over the door ironing board and liked it because I could fold it away when not using it. It was on the outside of my closet door which was always closed when ironing. If you want to hang one on a door that will be open you need to find a way to keep the door steady, maybe use some very heavy door stops, otherwise your iron might end up on the floor a lot.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 PM

I went to college with a door like that, I ended up ironing by putting it on the bed and ironing there. It always seemed like someone wanted to come thru the door when I was ironing.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:44 PM

I have an over the door fold down ironing board that I use with the door open. I use an "Everbuilt heavy duty door stop". Lowes, Home Depot, etc., carry them. They are like a rubber wedge. Shove it under the door to hold the door open & in place.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:31 PM

It depends on how much space you have and your personal taste. I leave my ironing board up/out almost all of the time other than when we have a house full of guests and we need to use my sewing room as a spill over guest room.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:10 AM

are you thinking of using it at the church for ironing the assembled tops?
If so I think insurance would raise it's ugly head,
iron falling off on someone's foot or carpet when the door is bumped,
board knocking into someone when the door was moved,
and how far is the door from the plug, does the cord trail across the room?

At home I'd say why not?
Old 11-28-2019, 05:22 AM

I thought I'd like an over the door fold down ironing board, I mentioned it to my hubby. He surprised me with one for my birthday. It probably would have worked except I'm short and it was too high for me. It would only adjust a little bit. I told him to trim the top of the door, after he quit laughing he returned the ironing board.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:49 AM

I bought an ironing board in a cabinet that hangs on the wall. There's no back to it so I had a waist high outlet installed in the cabinet to plug the iron into. When not in use the ironing board easily folds up into the cabinet and out of the way. There are even shelves inside the cabinet for supplies like spray bottles, pins, ironing aids, etc. (The shelves are too narrow to hold an iron though). However, the ironing board is on the small side. Perhaps there are similar cabinets for larger ironing boards available.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:37 AM

Default over the door ironing board

I bought one at the thrift store for $1. The hardware to hang it on the door was missing but my dear husband mounted it to the wall for me and it works great. Folds down when needed, fold up when not in use. While not a full sized ironing board it is larger than the little table top boards and I use it constantly. I even use it to iron what little clothing that needs a little pressing.