Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overwhelmed in scissors?  What is the best? >

Overwhelmed in scissors? What is the best?

Overwhelmed in scissors? What is the best?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 AM

I am trying to pick 5 or 6 scissors for my site and I know I need some help here. I included a link to the wholesaler I go to
http://www.newenglandquiltsupply.com.../scissors.html with all the choices.

Any advice?
Harry

P.S. Thank you to all who helped with the batting question.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM

I wasn't able to see the scissors but I would suggest that you include the following:

Basic cutting shears
Duck bill applique scissors
Spring loaded thread clippers

I own both Ginghers, and Havels and like both!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Fox

I should try your hoops--I'm more of an embroideress than a quilter really. Your type of hoop is good to use with the Twin Pointed Quick Stitch needles by Colonial I like to use for cross stitch because I can use both hands to stitch. (Tendonitous can set in if I use a regular tapistry needle.) As for scissors, I like Friskers, but I love Gingher's (made in Mexico-who knew!) 6" since I have smaller hands. I collect the smaller embroidery scissors-- I have all that are on the site, and many more! The Mundials don't have the best quality standards--where I used to work they would be returned all the time! There could be an 1/8" gap between the blades sometimes...they weren't good on paper much less fabric!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't bother with the Fiskars. You can't compete with Walmart's price. If you're going to stock scissors go with Ginghers at the least. There are other brands that are made in Solingen Germany that are even better than Ginghers. There are also French and Italian scissors of exceptional quality.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I have Ginghers and like the smaller size best (I think it's the 6") The larger ones do get heavy (I have weak wrists)
Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Fox

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I wouldn't bother with the Fiskars. You can't compete with Walmart's price. If you're going to stock scissors go with Ginghers at the least. There are other brands that are made in Solingen Germany that are even better than Ginghers. There are also French and Italian scissors of exceptional quality.
I definately agree. Joannes uses Fiskars as a vendor too. Solingen is great, I have several of their embroidery scissors, I really don't know if they have larger sizes. Sajou of France...I've never tried theirs...their retail prices scare me.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM

Personally, I think one of the best scissors/snips is your item # EX587-11. Also, I love the Fiskars with the spring in them. Using a regular pair of scissors, I can cut maybe 5 minutes, using the Fiskars, I can probably cut 1/2 hour.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I think mine are the Gingher G-5 or G-5C.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 PM

I have 5 different pairs of ginghers, love them all. I would also include the small curved embroidery/applique scissors. Which a lot of hand quilters and appliquers use.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 PM

I have a pair on Ginghers and I love them. Got them for a birthday gift. The rag quilts scissors are a must for cutting rag quilts.