Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Package on a field trip >

Package on a field trip

Package on a field trip

Old 11-14-2020, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Is it more likely to get to the destination if you ship it USPS Priority Express Mail? They say it is guaranteed overnight (1 to 2 business days) & yes, you have to pay more than USPS Priority Mail. I'm going to have to send a check in the mail next week & it has to be to it's destination within 5 business days. What's the solution to this?
Can you do a telelphone transfer? Not all entities will accept one, but if this one does, the transfer is usually posted the same or next day.

Also - remember to get a confirmation number
Old 11-14-2020, 08:09 AM

I watch all the time. Recently I had a package go from Traverse City MI in the northern part of Michigan, it went to Indiana and back to Mi and out to me 2 days later. Now here's another funny one that is much better. I ordered something from about 150 miles from me the day before yesterday and it was here the next morning. You figure.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:12 AM

USPS processes mail/packages through hub sorting/distribution centers. If my family in Denton, TX and I in Dallas, TX send each other anything it goes through Coppell, Texas first. Used to be direct from Dallas to Denton.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:24 AM

The business model with the distribution centers works very well even though it might not make any sense to the rest of us. The logistics and practices enhanced/developed by FedEx in particular have changed the way business is done. Also, the logistics and centralized store houses combined with outside vendors is what Amazon/Jeff Bezos did so well and why that has changed how we buy/get things.

Bear, without getting overly political I can say that I started noticing changes in the post office this past June. I think you would be fine with a standard overnight mailer -- when you use things like the flat rate boxes, tracking is included on your receipt. Back in June although prices on flat right boxes didn't change, there was fine print on the receipt that amounted to "by the way, we are not honoring the guarantee of the extra money you are paying for 3 day shipping will actually happen and it might be 5-7 days". I have been shipping many flat rate express packages and they are mostly (but not all) arriving on time.

Short form (too late!): I think if you do your due diligence on your end and mail in time (so if you mail overnight with 3 days left to get to them), even if the post office is delayed, your check would have to be honored.

Many places now are doing things on-line/direct transfers etc. that never did before. Our Washington State Driver's License agency has a big notice on their page that they didn't want me coming in, even if my license was expired (which it was), even if I had gotten the extension last time (which I did - means I should have gotten vision check and new picture), just click this button here and send them money and they would send me a fresh license.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:43 AM

This was no package but I mailed my water bill on the 7th of the month because it was due the 15th. That allowed eight days to go the 6 miles. The next month late charges were added to my bill! When I called the water board about These late charges they said it wasn’t their fault it didn’t get there in time!
Old 11-14-2020, 12:54 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

it is not only packages. It is also 1st class mail. When I was in college, my mom would mail me a letter in the post office walking from the bus stop to work, and I would get it that afternoon 160 miles away! Now it would be at least two days, maybe even longer. My absentee ballot took two weeks to go 5 miles, so I dropped it off after voting. Guess e mail dropping the volume of the USPS has had a real effect.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:44 PM

If you need to send money and it's imperative that it arrive by a certain date, wire it through your bank or credit union.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:08 AM

We can order our meds on Monday - they can be in our hands Wednesday. 1500 miles away. Incredible.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:25 AM

Tranum, I think med and med equipment may have dif priority within carriers since they may be date-of-delivery sensitive. No delay with my C-Pap supplies.

Place two orders today with 2 dif vendors I have ordered from in the past so I kinda know when to anticipate delivery...lol
Old 11-15-2020, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I pay all my monthly bills by check and send through the post office. They all get to where they are going and on time. I don't like banking on computer.