Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Packing machines for a move >

Packing machines for a move

Packing machines for a move

Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Default Packing machines for a move

We will be doing a local move soon, and next spring a move of about 1100 miles. I have 3 machines; the old one I’m not worried about, and the fancy one (Brother VQ3000) will likely travel with us in the car.

My question is, how do you safely pack a mid-level embroidery machine? I have a Brother Designio 820E. I didn’t come with any sort of case, just a dust cover. The embroidery arm (thing that moves around when the embroidery is happening) doesn’t come off, and I’m worried that it might be damaged.

Any packing suggestions greatly appreciated! I don’t really want to have to take it in the car as well (there will be 2 birds and a parrot as well as the other machine, etc.).

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

I would take it in the car if I didn't have the original box and packing it came in.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Banned

I would buy a case for it and pack fabric or batting scraps around it in the case.

Cari
Old 07-12-2018, 09:45 PM

I would put it in the car with me too. When I travel with my embroidery machine it has it's own seatbelt.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 PM

Oh goodness, I would be taking it in the car with me regardless of how I packed it.

I sold a Bernina 710 to an interstate buyer...packed it within an inch of its life with so much packing material and reinforcement on the box sides and plastered it with "Fragile" and "This way UP" stickers over every side of the carton and the freighters still managed to drop it from such a height that the machine was beyond repair when the buyer collected it. Luckily, she had insured it. I would never, ever, trust a freight or removalist company again with anything so precious.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:05 PM

I take it you didn't keep the original box it came in? Then I would pack it in the car.

FYI. When I bought my Janome, I was told if there was ever a problem with it that required the dealer shipping it to the manufacturer, the only way they would ship it was if it was in the original box. They would not take any substitute. Kind of a pain to store a large box for years "just in case", but better safe than sorry.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 PM

For sure- Take it in your car. As a word of caution- try not to travel in high heat times. DH was tasked with moving my sewing machine & bread machine. He had to work on the way to the new home & parked the car in the shade. He drove to the new home later that week. After we took the machines out & let them acclimate to the new house & AC, I tried to turn them on. The computer boards in both machines were cooked. Bread machine replaced, sewing machine replacement boards would have cost more than I paid for the machine & all the extra feet etc. that I bought to go with it. Hubby was so upset 'cause he tried to keep things cool.
Good luck
sewverybusy1
Old 07-13-2018, 03:01 AM

While the ideal travel for the machine is in your own car, life is sometimes not accommodating. If you are forced to ship it with your household goods. I would double box it. While using fabric might sound good as well as economical it is also very heavy and will add to the weight. Also movers tend to put the heaviest things at the bottom of the pile

If forced to pack it, I would first wrap it in several layers of bubble wrap / put it in a box with a little bit of room in it and fill that box with packing popcorn / then find another box at least 6 to 8 inches larger in all directions / put several inches of popcorn in the bottom of the larger box / center the box containing the machine / fill the rest of the larger box with more popcorn and tape it well.

Mark it well with Fragile stickers and I would be tempted to write on it some sort of request not to stack things on top of it.

I used this method when we moved ten years ago for extremely fragile things including my serger. By double boxing it - the machine can not shift or settle to the bottom. Everything in our move arrived in perfect condition including the serger. Good Luck!!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

http://www.victoriansweatshop.com/po...ipment-7927515

i took mine in the car but this is an option
Old 07-13-2018, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

i agree with most... take it in the car