Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the Paducah show unique? >

Is the Paducah show unique?

Is the Paducah show unique?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM

Default Is the Paducah show unique?

Is the Paducah show different from the Houston, Long Beach, Knoxville (etc.) shows?
I am debating attending the Paducah show because it is a 6 hour drive and I only found a hotel room within an hour's drive of Paducah.
However, I love attending these shows and would enjoy the shopping. But if it is the same kind of show as Houston, or the others I mentioned, I may pass. I have been to Paducah in the past, not during quilt week, so I am familiar with the area.

What is your opinion?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:34 PM

I think it is unique in that you have the whole town, including Eleanor Burns at the Fairgrounds. There are free shuttles to help you get around but I preferred to walk except to the fairgrounds. I wore out a few pairs of socks when I went. I wore my walking shoes tool.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM

I've been to Paducah many times. The most unique thing, in my opinion, is the whole town and Hancock's. But it sounds like you've seen it except not during the AQS show. There are a lot of vendors. I've never been to the Houston show, but I would imagine Paducah isn't as large. I went to the Des Moines show. It was very nice, lots of wonderful quilts and classes, and the crowds were much much less. Certainly not the huge-ness of Paducah, but I found it much more sane than being so squished trying to look at quilts and shop. Just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 PM

Paducah is not as big as Houston. I go to Paducah because it is so nice there in April,,, hopefully it will be this year. There are lots of stores downtown that have vendors too, and Eleanor Burns has a shop and she has a hugh tent set up at the park for her show and another for her fabric.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 PM

I've been to Houston, Des Moines and also to a Mancuso show in Denver. They each have their own uniqueness. Paducah is on my bucket list. This year a friend and I are going to the show in Denver and also shop hopping in that area. Go - I think you would have a ball!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Is there someplace to find a list of quilt shows around the country? I have family scattered all over the U.S. and would love to combine a family visit with a quilt show sometime. The shows I am familiar with are Houston, Paducah, and Sisters in OR. What others should I consider visiting?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 PM

CASS62---I mainly focus on the AQS shows (American Quilters Society). They started in Paducah and are spreading across the country. They now have Des Moines, Phoenix, Lancaster, Raleigh. Sorry I don't remember the others. They're at different times of year too. There's a Quilt Expo in Madison, WI in September that's like a mini Paducah! I usually focus on AQS because of the quilt quality, lots of vendors, and great teachers for classes.

I don't think there's one all inclusive list that includes all local community shows. Locally here we have a great show in Sun Prairie, WI that's in early April--mostly quilts, some vendors. It seems there are always shows cropping up in Wisconsin that I never knew about!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 PM

Like others said ... it's the whole town AND the quilt museum which should definitely be on your list of places to visit.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Thank you, Lori for this information.

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
CASS62---I mainly focus on the AQS shows (American Quilters Society). They started in Paducah and are spreading across the country. They now have Des Moines, Phoenix, Lancaster, Raleigh. Sorry I don't remember the others. They're at different times of year too. There's a Quilt Expo in Madison, WI in September that's like a mini Paducah! I usually focus on AQS because of the quilt quality, lots of vendors, and great teachers for classes.

I don't think there's one all inclusive list that includes all local community shows. Locally here we have a great show in Sun Prairie, WI that's in early April--mostly quilts, some vendors. It seems there are always shows cropping up in Wisconsin that I never knew about!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:15 AM

I went to the show in Madison in 2012. Great quilts and vendors. Our local bus company is sponsoring a day trip down which be awesome this year.