Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain in the neck

I worked for 5 straight hours 2 days ago on a quilt for my D/D for Christmas, yesterday I couldn't even move I hurt so much in the neck and left shoulder, nothing seemed to help. You guys are so wonderful on here, I was wondering if anyone else did this, and if so, can you tell me why or how to avoid it. Thanks for listening..

Debbie Umphress sells a machine lifter, (if your machine is not fitted into a table) it tilts the machine so that your neck and head stays at a natural angle. Try door stops or something that can tilt the machine. Here's the link for Debbie. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-69533-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Take frequent breaks, stretch and move around :wink:

I have to get up and walk around from time to time, I do! Go do something else that won't take too long, so you can get back to sewing... Just a "little" break will do wonders and you won't be straining yourself.

Drink lots of water too. Believe it or not, a person becomes very dehydrated when working with fabrics. The fabrics can really take the moisture away from you.

A Hubby massage!

I have the same problem. I take breaks often. Also, when you're sitting at your machine take a momement and pull your shoulders down to stretch them. I have a tendency to pull my shoulders up and they get very tense. I know it's miserable and frustrating not to mention the pain.

I have a neck problem to begin with, so have to be careful. I do as others have mentioned and take frequent breaks. I find this helps, getting up and moving around helps, that is the time I might fold wash or another thing that needs done. After you have suffered with neck pain you know what not to do and be able to still do what you want to.

I take frequent breaks and do the Yes, No & Maybe so exercises! Nod your head up & down as if you're saying Yes, then move your head from side to side as if you're saying No then raise your your shoulders up & down as if you're saying Maybe! It really works or so the expert says that was on the Sewing with Nancy(Zieman) show.
    You're not suppose to set longer than 45 min. at a time without moving around.

Make sure you ae setting in a chair that is at the heigth for you. An adjustable chair is a must for sewers.

I purchased a small chicken kitchen timer that I set for 30 minutes now...when it rings...I force myself to get up and take a break. It works. Hope you are doing better

Great Idea!!!

I have a really good chiropractor! :shock:

I'm wearing a neck brace for the next 2 months, so I'll have to be extra careful. Probably won't be able to do anything for an extended period. Just tried the "modified" yes, no, maybe (can't turn my head too far) and it seemed to help. Try some ice on the neck. If it doesn't go away in a day or two, a chiropractor might be helpful. Of course, that can be expensive!

Blog Entries
    I used to have neck pain all the time from sewing and other things. I started wearing a magnetic necklace about eight years ago and it really works for me. I got mine at a craft show by a friend who makes them. There are cheap ones but are not as strong or helpful. My hubby starting wearing one after seeing how much it helped me and he also swears by them now. At times I will start to get a neck ache but it quickly goes away. We wear them all the time, only taking them off to shower. Wear next to the skin.

yep take regular breaks and move around - I also remember someone telling me on here as I was getting alot of neck pain and stiffness when I hand quilt or applique to make sure you are not leaning over your work - as soon as I started checking my posture most of the pain has disappeared - hope it eases up soon - one of those wheat bag things you heat in the micro help alot too

yep take regular breaks and move around - I also remember someone telling me on here as I was getting alot of neck pain and stiffness when I hand quilt or applique to make sure you are not leaning over your work - as soon as I started checking my posture most of the pain has disappeared - hope it eases up soon - one of those wheat bag things you heat in the micro help alot too

Quote Originally Posted by janedee
    Oops must have hit the send key twice!!!!

I highly recommend "Treat Your Own Neck," by Robin McKenzie. It's available through Amazon and is part of a series by McKenzie. Having a pinched nerve in my neck led to not only chronic neck and shoulder pain, but constant headaches. My doctor recommended physical therapy and although I was at first reluctant (doesn't everyone who goes to PT either go forever or have the same problem as soon as they stop?), I did end up going. The PT is actually who recommended this book to me, and I've lent to several folks since then. Great exercises to not only alleviate pain, but keep it fron coming back.

I worked in a factory for 17 yrs. We were taught to try to keep your head in line with your spine (your head weighs around 8 lbs so if you bend your head forward your muscles have to work more. imagine holding a bowling ball, does it seem heavier close to your body or if you hold it in front of you as far as possible?) This is where your chair adjustment is important. We were also told to take small breaks frequently (such as rolling your shoulders or just standing and stretching) along with regular breaks. And yes water is a very good idea. Hope these help.

Feel better soon!

Blog Entries
    did that years ago, about 5, shoulder is still frozen up, i get massages (my son is a therapist), but only helps for about an hour. good luck

Kas
    My pain in the neck and shoulder turned out to be a herniated and torn disc between my c5& 6 vertebrae. It turns out bone spurs are causing the disc to be pushed out and I am having surgery on the 9th of Dec. I tried traction and cortisone shots, muscle relaxants and a TENS machine for a year. Hopefully the surgery will finally fix it. I went in for a MRI after my arm became numb all the time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pictures, Will have my son-in-law build one for me

I think everyone said the same as I would - take frequent breaks. Do neck stretches, get up away from the machine at least every 30 minutes and walk around the house - some people get a little kitchen timer and keep it next to the sewing machine so they won't forget to do this. If we constantly sit at the sewing machine we do stiffen up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast