Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Painters tape won't stick - why? >

Painters tape won't stick - why?

Painters tape won't stick - why?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM

That Frog tape is pretty expensive, and I've found that the blue tape doesn't have much stick to it because it's designed to peel off and not leave any residue.

Why wouldn't just regular old masking tape work?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM

BellaBoo - good idea! I will try to put the glue stick on the tape. Maybe that will help
Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Frog tape is the new green painter's tape that is suppose to eliminate gaps when trying to paint a straight edge. I assume it is available where ever the Scotch blue tape is sold.
I've switched to Frog tape as it seems to stick better. Try it for yourself to see.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 AM

I like the green frog tape. I actually "borrowed" it from my husband's workshop but he knows where it is in case he needs it. I have found that the blue tape doesn't stick as well as it use to. I don't know why. The masking tape can leave a residue that's hard to get off if it's left on the fabric too long. I think the frog tape is too expensive, but I'm still on my first roll and you can reuse it so I think I will continue to use it because I like it so much better.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 AM

There seems to be 2 types of blue tape. I had my husband pick up a roll for me and he brought home a slightly different type than I had before and it doesn't stick very well at all. The kind that works (for me, anyway) is slightly textured and is just plain blue; the new kind that doesn't work is really smooth and has a logo printed on it.

I'll have to look for green tape. I wall-baste a lot due to lack of space and it's a chore getting everything stuck to the wall - those first few pieces have to hold too much weight and I have to run back and forth trying to tape everything up before it all peels off!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I had that problem last night I thought it must be the starch on fabric.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Sewnoma: What is the logo on the tape that doesn't work very well for you? I have 2 brand new rolls I am wondering if I bought that type

I am going to check out that Frog tape too
Old 11-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
That Frog tape is pretty expensive, and I've found that the blue tape doesn't have much stick to it because it's designed to peel off and not leave any residue.

Why wouldn't just regular old masking tape work?
Regular masking tape shouldn't be left on the fabric overnight because it will leave a residue on the fabric if left on it for too long.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Good to know. Will have to check out the frog tape though!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Sewnoma: What is the logo on the tape that doesn't work very well for you? I have 2 brand new rolls I am wondering if I bought that type
I can't remember! I'm at work or I'd go check!

Oh, I just tried a google image search...it may be Scotch Blue? On this site, if you scroll down, the tape in the pictures looks like the smooth kind that doesn't work for me: http://modpodgerocksblog.com/2012/06...ne-canvas.html

But I also found other pictures labeled "scotch blue" that looked like the "good" (textured) kind so maybe they're all Scotch Blue and it's just a different variety? Sorry...not very conclusive!! It's the smooth texture of the tape that gives it away for me. If it's textured, that's the kind that works for me. Smooth stuff...not so much!