Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Panel Help >

Panel Help

Panel Help

Old 03-26-2016, 05:45 AM

Default Panel Help

My cousin just bought a beautiful panel from Timeless Treasure's Wing and a Prayer collection. She is a beginning sewer, never made a quilt before. She asked for help from me, which I am glad to give, but the blocks in the panel are 19"x18" and 20"x17". Any suggestions for a pattern or how to help her?
Old 03-26-2016, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
My cousin just bought a beautiful panel from Timeless Treasure's Wing and a Prayer collection. She is a beginning sewer, never made a quilt before. She asked for help from me, which I am glad to give, but the blocks in the panel are 19"x18" and 20"x17". Any suggestions for a pattern or how to help her?
Would squaring up those odd numbered blocks to even numbers cut too much off? That would be my first suggestion, then I'd do a Google search for panel quilts, then go to images and see all the great ideas. I do a lot pf panel quilts for kids.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:05 AM

I would probably add small borders around the panels then cut to size I needed for whatever blocks I was going to use.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Thanks, Annie 68 and Jeanann! That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure I was on the right track...
Old 03-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Here is the collection.
https://ttfabrics.com/collection/gra...prayer-design/
Not a good photo of the panel. I would just sash around the blocks in her favorite color and add a floral border. Keep it simple so she can participate in the sewing of this quilt. Good Luck.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:07 PM

I agree 100% with ManiacQuilter2. If she's just a beginner, she can learn a lot from sewing on borders without experiencing too much frustration. She'll learn how to measure to borders, how to cut fabric strips, how to pin the borders to the panel, how to sew them on with a consistent 1/4" seam, how to press, etc. The panel itself should yield a rich conversation about quilting options (how? where? how far apart? color of thread?), and the border(s) will add to that. She'll get a good lesson in binding the quilt, too! PERFECT beginner project, imho.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 PM

There is another thread in main with same problem nearly. There is a quilt with a large panel cut and smaller blocks fussy cut. This may help you.
'Help. How to use it'

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 03-27-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:34 AM

Keep it simple. Panels can be deceiving.Working with the panel is a good experience for a beginner. Success is important and you will want to facilitate that.