Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Panel quilt would this work >

Panel quilt would this work

Panel quilt would this work

Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 PM

I have a beautiful panel of a Fairy looking into a Lily 48 inches by 24 inches, I would like to hand quilt the outline of the Fairy and Flower in the panel, can I do the panel first then add the border after so as quilting the panel would be easier to manage with less fabric, it would mean that the panel part of the quilt would have double padding, I intend to add quite a wide border so that the quilt would fit onto a child's bed, would this work or would it look odd, can all the experts that frequent this site please advise?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

You could quilt as you go, and it definitely would look great!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Power Poster

Yes it will work, and it will be beautiful too :D:D:D
Old 12-23-2010, 03:26 AM

It does work out quite nicely with the extra padding. May I suggest that you use "search" on this board for trapunto. Or goggle it. This technique was originally done by hand work only, like your thinking and many quilters now use the sewing machine.

Please let us see your pictures later.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:49 AM

Here is a really good website that explains the "trapunto" technique that phatquilts was talking about. I was curious to and googled it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2120258_learn-trapunto.html
Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 AM

Yes that will work and it will be beautiful. However it will have a "hot spot" to sleep under. That section of the quilt will be much warmer than the outer edges.

Several years ago I made a quilt that had a tiger panel in the center. I added the borders and then tied (with yarn) the entire quilt with the exception of the tigers. On those I used embroidery floss in black and did a hand quilted outline. It really made them pop and they even looked wonderful from the back. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 AM

Just add the batting for the border to the border area. Sew batting and border on at the same time, trim excess batting from seam.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Many thanks for all of your expert help and advice, this will be one of my many projects for 2011. I got the panel from Fabric Depot in the US it is really beautiful, I look forward to bringing it "To Life" with my quilting. I will post a photograph when it is finished.

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year, in Melbourne Australia we are going to have a fine sunny day 28 degrees C or 86degrees F for Christmas Day.

Regards
Christmas Carol
Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Many thanks for all of your expert help and advice, this will be one of my many projects for 2011. I got the panel from Fabric Depot in the US it is really beautiful, I look forward to bringing it "To Life" with my quilting. I will post a photograph when it is finished.

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year, in Melbourne Australia we are going to have a fine sunny day 28 degrees C or 86degrees F for Christmas Day.

Regards
Christmas Carol