Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panel Quilts

Panel Quilts

I have never used a panel in a quilt before. But I found this beautiful Peacock panel that I want to use for my sister's quilt I'm making her this year. The problem is, I need to make it into a king size.
    Any tips on how I can pull this off without pulling focus away from the panel?
    I have found a couple of really pretty quilts on Pinterest, but not sure how they would look as a king size.
    Name:  Peacock.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  131.7 KB

Power Poster
    I might put the panel in the middle and use French Braid columns in the same peacock colours. French Braids kind of look like long feathers to me.

That would be awesome in Batik colors! Thanks for the idea!!

Look at "medallion" quilts for ideas. I love panels in quilts, but they do take some imagination to make them work in a large quilt.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I'd put a black border around the panel to divide the panel from the borders. Then I would alternate plain and pieced borders drawing colors from the panel. Love the idea of batiks but Moda marbles have some awesome tone on tone blues too.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I'm wondering if the manufacturer makes that border print as yardage. If so, you could frame the peacock and use the fabric as succeeding borders alternating with the colors already there.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a panel for my son. It's an outdoor wildlife scene and am thinking of doing an attic window. Not quite sure but printed a photo of it. ENlarged it and still not sure. There would be some of the panel eliminated so as not to distort. Still indecisive.

That is a great panel. Love the French braid idea.

Plenty of free patterns on the Timeless Treasures website. They produce a lot of pannels.

sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 07-13-2017 at 05:45 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to a whole bunch of books devoted to making quilts with panels. And, if you own a kindle, you can download any that tickle your fancy right away.https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=1X2JQ6KNLB8U2

I have seen many people use panels as the center of round robin quilts also.

It's a beautiful panel and will make a beautiful quilt. Have fun!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

DJ
    What a gorgeous panel!

I'm wondering how it would look with tone-on-tone fabric or batik in colors that would radiate out from the center panel, like an ombre effect.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Peacocks are so gorgeous!

DJ
    Something like this with the panel in the center …
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BDTCXj7R7L...Flickr.com.jpg
    I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Peacocks are so gorgeous!

I split this panel, adding both width and length to the original size. More borders would make it the size you need.
    Name:  1441914177268_IMG_20150910_141637_347.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  194.8 KB
    This panel called for lots of colors, so I did a borer with squares inside sashing to pull it together.
    Name:  IMG_1036.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  355.2 KB

This is probably my biggest panel quilt. It would have been very easy to add another border to make it king size. I just picked blocks I liked to use around it. The first inner border is cut to fill the gap between the panel and borders.

I have that same panel and some yardage that goes with it, but have not made anything from it yet.
    Last edited by Macybaby; 07-13-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

That is a very beautiful peacock panel... may I ask who makes it?
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would not cut that beautiful Peacock panel.

I use panels for quilts I have made for Grandsons and donation quilts. Fast, east and always beautiful.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Here is the entire collection

http://ttfabrics.com/collection/mosa...-chonga-hwang/

There are fabrics that you can use for whatever you like. I would start by "squaring off" the panel. It is currently about 24x42. So add some of the scalloped border fabric to complete the border, as mentioned above. Then add borders to your heart's content to get to what you want. A standard king mattress top is 76x80.

I would personally prefer subdued borders, so as to not take attention away from that beautiful panel--at least on the mattress top.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

My peacock quilt project is in blacks but I will post an in-progress picture here for you to consider. Mine when finished will fit a queen size bed to the floor on either sides. Name:  Borders on Peacock001 (Small).JPG
Views: 976
Size:  56.6 KB

In this photo...what you see is what shows on the bed top.... I now have it built out as far as it is going, but it's good to remember the extra borders will be on the sides, so they don't take away from the centre panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Thank you for that link, Krisb.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I have a panel for my son. It's an outdoor wildlife scene and am thinking of doing an attic window. Not quite sure but printed a photo of it. ENlarged it and still not sure. There would be some of the panel eliminated so as not to distort. Still indecisive.
    I did the deer attic window, it turned out awesome. Just need to make sure you do your measurements correctly in order for the deer to not look distorted.
    MSQC has a great tutorial to help.

sewbizgirl, it is a Timeless Treasures panel.

Thank you all for your ideas! I can't wait to put these to use and get started!!
    I will post when I finish!

I love this idea! I thought about half square triangles, but wasn't sure how busy it would look. This one looks amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    My peacock quilt project is in blacks but I will post an in-progress picture here for you to consider. Mine when finished will fit a queen size bed to the floor on either sides. Name:  Borders on Peacock001 (Small).JPG
Views: 976
Size:  56.6 KB

In this photo...what you see is what shows on the bed top.... I now have it built out as far as it is going, but it's good to remember the extra borders will be on the sides, so they don't take away from the centre panel.

Krisb, thank you for the link! I will certainly use these fabric choices. I have struggled to find matching fabric.

That panel is gorgeous! Look at the avatar for ArtsyOne. Does that give you any ideas? Look how she made that smaller center design the focus but framed it several times, creating the larger piece. Nicely done. A shadow box design might work with this same idea??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast