Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Panels, Panels, Panels >

Panels, Panels, Panels

Panels, Panels, Panels

Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 AM

I did something with a larger panel,. a few years ago for a 65th Birthday present!
I cut it apart added a couple Borders then did a fusible applique with "Bills Barn" written on top! He LOVED it, is still in a THE place of Honour in his garage/ man cave!! LOL
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM

I like your idea of cutting the pictures apart and spacing them out with other fabrics. You could also buy yardage of the background (forest) fabric and incorporate some of it. 9-patch blocks would be simple and effective.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:30 AM

I go along with the leave it as is and build around it group. I would probably do a 3 or 4 inch border around it and make blocks to border that, or just aff enough borders to make it as large as you need it to be.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

something like Irishrose did is beautiful.. if it needs to be bigger I would get another panel
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM

I would cut them apart and then border each one and finally use sashing. I would use fairly simple fabrics for borders and sashing so they are not competing with the panel designs.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 PM

There is alot you can do with panels, just add borders, pieced or plain, cut apart, sash, or add other pieced blocks. I think it depends on how you want the quilt to look. It is a nice panel!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Did you see the large panel that goes with the small ones. Adding this would allow you to do something like mshollysd did. I love that one. Maybe get a second set of the small panels or substitute pieced blocks.

http://www.nancysfabrics.com/product...n-fabric-panel
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Ok Feathers-N-Fur, now you've done it! I just looked at that site and they have SO many cool panels...there is just so much that can be done with a great panel as a starting point and now I want to break my shopping moratorium again!!!

I've done a few now...the sailboat is not exactly a panel, but the scrappy pattern (or any other combination of block patterns) can be used to tie the quilt together. Let us know what you decide...the sky is the limit!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]383270[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]383271[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]383272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]383273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]383274[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 13th-quilt.jpg   15th-quilt.jpg   19th-quilt.jpg   21st-quilt.jpg   img_0850-comp.jpg  

Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM

I am finishing a lap quilt for my daughter with horse pictures in the same arrangement--I cut them into 4 squares and also took off the side "borders". I then used 2 solids to create a sashing (wide) that ended in elongated stars from the Marti Michell ruler. I put the printed borders below (and above onthe top squares) sashings to give it lenght. I also used a 6x9" paper pieced Eastern Star in the middle, but you could use any block in the middle. I then put a 6" border on it with the 2 colors. I'd put a picture on here,but I already wrapped it!